1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lost some free space after fresh install of windows xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SUEOHIO, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO Thread Starter

First Name:
    SUE
    i did a fresh reinstall of windows xp home as my computer had a copy of windows xp with a volume product key as it belonged to a school. i was told to install a fresh copy of windows as all stickers had been removed from the machine and it didnt come with any cds of any kind. plus it just said owner and i wanted to put in my name as owner plus a tech told me now it will have the proper codes if i ever need to have anything fixed. before i reinstalled windows on my c drive i had 83% free space after reinstall and putting back everything i had like ie7, updates, my antivirus and antispyware etc, i only have 77% free space. what happened to the other 6%? the c drive total compacity is 37.24 gb and ive got 28.93gb free space or 77% free. i thought when you do a fresh clean install its supposed to put it back to like new settings. im curious as to how 6% just disappeared into thin air. if anyone can solve this puzzle for me ill be glad to hear any suggestions.:confused:

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO Thread Starter

First Name:
    SUE
    mystery solved. it seem like when i had the original windows xp in the computer it hardly had any updates in it. when i reinstalled windows it had 66+ critical updates that needed installed. plus i took one of my programs out for my printer that dealt with faxing that i dont use as i dont have dialup anymore. i also set my system restore back to the most recent point so now i have 79% free space. i think only losing 4% free space isnt a big deal now.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice