1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost some quicken data on reinstall

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by GayleGTun, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GayleGTun

GayleGTun Thread Starter

I had to erase the hard disk on my imac (running X.2) and reinstall Quicken2002 (for Macs).
    Although some of my data looks right (like the checkbook balance and the transaction lists, registers) stock prices, which I have recorded monthly for years, now end as of 6/2002, 15 months ago. That of course makes the portfolio totals wrong (obsolete).

If I enter new stock prices as of end of Sept., will this make my portfolio totals okay again? And what happened to 15 months worth of stock prices and how can I get them back, other than digging out statements and reentering all those prices? Why was my data cut off like this (I got no warnings).

My Quicken worked fine until I reinstalled it.

I apologize for anything I have done wrong here; it's a first post for me and I am feeling inadequate, desperate, and STRESSED. Thanks for any help.

Gayle

2. raybro

raybro

I think you would have better luck posting this in the "Other Operating Systems" forum.

Aside from that... Quicken is pretty much the same regardless of the OS, so I have one question for you. Did you not backup the data? Quicken puts up reminders asking if you want to backup your data. If so, where did you store those backups. The info should be there.

BTW... For future refernce... If you stored the backups (assuming you made them) on the same HDD as your application and OS, I suggest you consider either another medium. Like a second hard drive (can Mac's do that?), or some sort of external drive. I used an Iomega JAZ drive for years for such data strorage before I installed a second HDD. You could also burn the data to CD if you have a burner. Lots of choices available. Sorry I don't know which apply best to a Mac, but at least this may give you some ideas.

Good Luck

3. GayleGTun

GayleGTun Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, Raybro. Sorry I did not find your reply earlier. I will remember, for the future, your other systems advice.

Yes, I had backed up Quicken data, burning a CD. But that data dropped the 15 months of stock prices, for a reason I don't understand. It was when I restored the data from the CD that the gap appeared. Maybe CD ran out of room and dropped the most recent prices? But surely I would have gotten a warning.

A mystery to me still. But when I entered latest prices, the portfolio totals updated. So what I have lost is the 15 months of history. I plan to retype (from statements filed) a few months prices , so the gap isn't so large.

4. raybro

raybro

Hi Again GayleGTun... Did you create another post on the "Other Systems" forum? Don't give up... there are a lot of very knowledgable folks on this site. (y) :D

Whatever you decide to do... Best of Luck. :cool:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice