1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost Sound Icon in SysTray

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cwilmot, Jun 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

I have lost my sound icon in the systray and it doesn't come back when I reboot.

2. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

What OS?

In XP you open control panel, (classic mode) and open Sounds and Audio devices. On the volume tab is a tickbox for show volume control in the taskbar. Tick it, click apply and OK and it comes back. Its similarly located, but a slightly different applet name in the control panel, in both W2K and NT.

3. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

Nick, That was already checked. Any other ideas? cwilmot

4. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

Right-click the taskbar, choose properties from the menu. Then check that you haven't got "Hide inactive icons" enabled. This would hide the sound volume icon if you haven't clicked it for a while.

5. terryxp

terryxp

I had this problem before... make sure this file is in your startup folder, as well as win/sys32... If not, put it there.

sndvol32.exe

6. terryxp

terryxp

More specifically... sndvol32 should be here...

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

C:\WINDOWS\system32

terryxp

7. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

Nick, You identified it. Thanks, so much. It's interesting, though. It came back with a different icon! The original was the standard side view of a yellow speaker. This one is looking into the throat of a dark colored speaker.

Terryxp, You've got quite a machine there! I thought I was doing pretty well with a Dell 8100, 1.5 GB, 256MB RAM, (2) 40 GB HDs, etc., but you've got me beat! cwilmot

8. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

That's the one I've got in XP Pro as well. Odd that you had the old version before. Is XP an upgrade on your machine? I can't think of any other reason for that.

Glad that you have got it back though, and that I was able to help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!