lost sound on my brand new laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tdawg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have recently lost the sound on my Gateway laptop. However, when I checked the device manager it did not indicate any yellow! I have searched all the programs on my computer that have the capability to mute the overall sound, but it was to no avail. The last application that I had played sound on was a DivX player (a few days ago). My winamp bar levels indicate that the song is playing but I still have no sound.
My keyboard sound function(Fn Home) indicates that the sound level should be high.
I have contemplated reinstalling my soundcard but I do not want to lose my files on my computer. Norton Antivirus detected no viruses on my computer.
Does anyone know how I can get my sound back?

However, I do remember seeing "volume control serial XXX XXX" appear at the startup of my computer when it wanted to scan for errors.
Is there a master volume control that could unmute all applications?
Could I delete my sound card software and reinstall it to get it back?

According to everything under the device manager and volume controls everything is fine

thats all

thanks

:confused:

Hey try going into control panel>sounds & audio devices, and having a thourough look in there.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Restore point? or restart with last good known configuration? Scanreg/restore? Operating system?

tdawg

I have thoroughly gone through the control panel audio options and have found nothing unusual.
I have also tried to do a system restore but everytime I try I get an incomplete restoration.
There is no gateway shop around here for me to get help from either

Its kind of a bummer

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
And the rest of my questions?

When you say system restore, exactly what did you attempt?

tdawg

I have tried to do a system restore several times, but each time I do it the computer goes through the system restore and restarts saying that the " system restore was incomplete." This happens at bold-faced system restore points. not sure why it does not work. :confused: :confused:

This might sound totally stupid but does your computer have a little knob or wheel to adjust the volume on the side of the computer?

My daughter had the same problem. I was perplexed as to why there was no sound untill I found the wheel and turned it up. Presto...sound

Just a thought
Steve L

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Open volume icon. Go to options, properties, place a check mark in everything under playback. Then check volume levels and for muted items.

Not sure if this applies towards Gateway, but on Dell and IBM machines, there is a Fn key, that when used with either PgUp or PgDn to adjust volume. This setting will override ANY software volume controls through software.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts