1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost sound, won't come back....ouch!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by topazbest, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

Lost sound on XP PRO OS system. BOARD is INTEL D845GRG model. I went to INTEL site and downloaded driver I need for sound...SOUND MAX INT DIGITAL AUDIO DRIVER 5.12.1.3503 WHen I try to run program and install driver, it proceeds fine but then says...DRIVER NOT FOUND< REBOOT SYSTEM AND RETRY. WHich I do only to get the same message. The downloaded file is called CADENZA.EXE and like I said it starts the install fine, seems to extract files, etc. But get this error message upon completion ? ON Device manager it shows entries under sound,video and game controllers...all look ok,etc. ..but still no sound? Yes, speakers plugged in correctly....and had sound for about 6 months, then suddenly dropped out? Any ideas....?

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Try in safe mode and disable antivirus program, in fact why bot go" Run,msconfig,ok,startup" and disable everything running in the background for the install.

3. onsite

onsite

ok, you probably know the drill by now. we need to start at the basics and work our way through this
    1. have you tried the speakers on something else like another pc or walkman...etc ?
    2. you have the speakers plugged into the green jack next to the pink and blue
    3. there is only one set of gree, blue and pink jacks ?
    4. the sound card has not been turned off in the bios ?
    5. go to control panel / sound and audio
    6.click the third tab "audio"
    7.for sound recording and playback you see your sound card ?
    8. click the volume tab, is mute checked ?
    9.click the "sounds" tab
    10. highlight a sound with a speaker to the left, make sure the speakers are plugged into the sound card and on
    11. click the little triangle, you should here a sound ?
    12. close sound , close control panel
    12. double click the speaker in the icon tray to the left of the time ( bottom right of the desk top) you may have to click the little " less than" arrow.
    13.volume control should come up
    14. click options / properties
    15. you have to check your playback.... since these can be different for each sound card you are on your own here, make sure the option you need is not muted or make sure it is selected . Try all till you find the right one.

4. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

The absolute best source for help! OK, somehting that might help. When I started compute I get the message.....FOUND NEW HARDWARE:MULTIMEDIA AUDIO CONTROLLER. When I try to install, I cannot get it to recognize anything. For example, I point it to the CADENZA.EXE extracted files I downloaded from www.intel.com,( this is the program listed as the AUDIO DRIVER)....will not pick up anything there. I imagine if we can figure out how to get this MULTIMEDIA AUDIO CONTROLLER recognized, then we might have it whipped. I went through the steps you mentioned.....No card, etc on SOUND RECORDING/PLAYBACK, etc. No speaker in tray, etc. IDEAS?

5. onsite

onsite

you deffinately do not have the sound card installed
    go to device manager, the click the + sign next to sound and audio, then highlight all your audio / sound stuff, uninstall, then either reboot or go to the top of the list, high light the name of your pc , click on action, click detect new hardware

6. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

DID that....dumped the audio/sound. But when I try and install the card, it keeps saying...IT CANNOT FIND THE SOFTWARE, regardless of where I point. Keeps saying a MULTIMEDIA CONTROLLER is found on the little balloon, but can't point it to the sofware to install. Does the file have to be ina specific location on HARD DRIVE?

7. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

SUCCESS! FIrst off, the downloaded files from INTEL were just various CODECs, etc. Remember that certain motherboards are no longer supported by INTEL. This particular board is D845GRG SERIES BOARD, and uses the 97AC on board sound arrangement. A good place I found the cure all is driverguide.com, I searched and noted someone with same problem. DOWNLOADED FILE CALLED ALC20X, a generic sound driver for the INTEL 845GRG series motherboards. Works great..sound was right back. THANKS FOR THE HELP...let's consider this case closed BATMAN!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice