1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost Start Menu Items

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gderreck, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gderreck

gderreck Thread Starter

Greetings
    I lost the My Music and My Pictures icons on the start menu. I moved My Documents and was prompted to move the current items. I said (stupidly) yes. I noticed I had 2 music and picture folders in My Documents. I deleted the Folders that had been moved when I reloacated. When I went back to the start menu, My Music and My Pictures were gone. I looked in properties, and the two items were selected. I went to the registry and the entries for music and pictures were gone in UserShellFolders and ShellFolders. I recreated the entries. After all of this, there are still no icons for Music and Pictures on the start menu. Can anybody help me out here?

Regards

2. TehTech

TehTech

Did you check under 'Control panel' then 'taskbar & startmenu properties'
    Startmenu
    Customize
    Advanced
    check and see if when they where deleted did it disactivate them from your start menu.
    Sounds really simple but who knows?

3. gderreck

gderreck Thread Starter

Thank you TehTech
    I solved the problem. I had been using vista, and downgraded becuase my machine couldn't handle it. I used TweakUI to repair the my Music and My Pictures Icons. The icons reappeared in the start menu, but I had two icons again in My Documents. My music and picture folders had a different desktop.ini file than the original XP icons. I copied the original XP desktop.ini information to my desktop ini files (music and pictures); and voila, the files merged. That solved the problem. I am posting this in case anyone else has the same problem. Thanks again for the reply TehTech.

4. TehTech

TehTech

oh, hey your better off with xp trust me. Glad to here you resolved it on your own, there is more pride and self satisfaction in it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!