Lost Taskbar

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

boxofbricks

Simple. I needed to reset my computer for a program I'd just installed (Bryce 5) and when I got back there was no taskbar. None at all. Nor can I use my start menu. I've tried a repair install from the WinXP disc, in the boot from disk method It won't let me agree to the lisence and in the install from disc in windows It says there's a 3rd party kernel that needs removing. It doesn't sat what it is. Might be the fact I have 2 boot screens [accident] One the loader bar is green and that works fine, one the loader bar is blue and that fails and flashes a blue screen then restarts. I'm guessing this is the 3rd party kernel. If that can't be sorted I'll go for any other method of getting it back (Aside from a format, 30GB of important data will take ages to backup) such as a registry modification, or anything.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

boxofbricks said:
One the loader bar is green and that works fine, one the loader bar is blue and that fails and flashes a blue screen then restarts. I'm guessing this is the 3rd party kernel. If that can't be sorted I'll go for any other method of getting it back
You have lost me on that part. However, id like to know 3 things.

1. Please tell me ur looked for it at the bottom, just a lil line? When you say "i can't use the starte menu" u have pressed the windows key and tried right?

2. You have moved the moniter up and down right? With the config buttons on the moniter?

3. Do you mean you have 2 boot paths?
-blitze

PS
if u have done that its time for a real techie answer which is fun.. but i thought id try simpler stuff first

boxofbricks

Blitze105 said:
You have lost me on that part. However, id like to know 3 things.

1. Please tell me ur looked for it at the bottom, just a lil line? When you say "i can't use the starte menu" u have pressed the windows key and tried right?

2. You have moved the moniter up and down right? With the config buttons on the moniter?

3. Do you mean you have 2 boot paths?
-blitze

PS
if u have done that its time for a real techie answer which is fun.. but i thought id try simpler stuff first

1: No start menu or task bar. No little line and the windows key does nothing.

2: Done that. Nope, not there.

3: It looks like it, But I sure didn't do it.

Ok.
Reboot your computer in safe mode. If it is missing in safe mode we have few options left.
-blitze

boxofbricks

In safe mode it's part there. When the taskbar in unlocked there's that thin bar on top that you resize it with, only that is there. It's right at the bottom, not floating anywhere.

boxofbricks

Nope. They all don't have it. Another problem that may be related is I can't get into control panel. When I try explorer shuts down and I have to wait for it to start again.

Edit: I just got a

Microsoft visual C++ Runtime Libary
Runtime error
Program:C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

Abnormal program termination

I pressed ok and nothing happened.

For some strange reason, we came home from work one day and the taskbar was missing, and no start menu. Tried everything to recover it. Went to contol panel to try to start it, but when I click on it, it does nothing. If anyone can help with this please, please....it is driving my OCD nuts not to be able to use this.....

paulal88 said:
For some strange reason, we came home from work one day and the taskbar was missing, and no start menu. Tried everything to recover it. Went to contol panel to try to start it, but when I click on it, it does nothing. If anyone can help with this please, please....it is driving my OCD nuts not to be able to use this.....
Start your own thread and i will help.
-blitze

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online