1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost the sound and volume, Making everything worse. Desperate for help.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TotallyUseless, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TotallyUseless

TotallyUseless Thread Starter

My main problem is I have some how uninstalled the sound and volume. I am also very uncomputer savvy.

I uninstalled what I thought were useless things, obviously not as immediately lost the sound and icon. Can't restore, won't work. Devise manager doesn't recognise.

I actually have made several mistakes. Computer is very very slow. Keeps coming up with end now. Google not coming up as usual server, not sure using the right word. Now have msn messaging coming up as well as bing.

Also managed to do something with the resolution and cannot reset either.

Any help, in simple terms, especially to restore the sound most appreciated.

2. 2BInformed

2BInformed Banned

Hi! Sorry you are having sound trouble. See if the following helps:

Go to Control Panel > Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices > Sounds and Audio Devices.

While in Sounds and Audio Devices > Properties and check 'Volume'. See that "Mute" is Not checked and that the Sliding Bar is all the way to "High".

Do not go to "Sounds" as this should not need to be changed.

Do go to Audio > Performance > and click Restore Defaults.

See how that works out. You may need to also reboot.

3. haycg

haycg

If the changes you made caused your problem and this was done recently do a system restore to an earlier date. Never delete file if you don't know what their used for.
    Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore.

4. TotallyUseless

Thanks

Doesn't work. Everything under sounds and audio devices cannot be clicked onto, its as if its been disabled. You can go under the properties, volume etc but nothing can be adjusted. You cannot change a thing.

Not sure how to reboot. I did try once but no real idea what I was doing.

Thanks. I tried to restore over a week ago, keeps coming up as fail. Tried today, again it failed.

A friend of mine, who is better at computers, and I both tried all of the above with the sounds and devices and system restore but doesn't work. I have tried advice I have googled, which is basically the same and nothing works.

5. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Hi and welcome to TSG. Please advise us the EXACT make and model number of your computer. If its a Dell plese advise the 7character service tag too. Open your Device Manager (start>run>type devmgmt.msc) then click on the + sign beside sound, audio and game controllers and if theres any YELLOW TRIANGLES OR !'s please right click on it and then hit update driver. Also advise us the EXACT entry on Device Manager if theres yellow marks

6. TotallyUseless

Hi I have a packard bell model number nav50, something else I found says packard-0042c31.

No CD drive as its a notebook.

I'll try device manager again, must have done something wrong as I couldn't find yellow triangles.

7. TotallyUseless

Tried again and definately no yellow triangles.

8. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
  9. TotallyUseless

Almost everything has worn off the back and I am struggling to read it but on the original receipt is
    SYM 360GOLDWB WNTBOOK
    Packard BL DOTS2UK/0

Sorry need to go out for awhile.

Thanks for you patience.

10. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    try this Realtek Audio Driver

Download it and install it then reboot whether it asks you to or not.

11. TotallyUseless

Hi have downloaded. I think reboot worked, not sure as not much happened.

The programme says the sound driver is not on here and when I went to get more details it wants me to pay about 30 dollars.

12. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    What program? I linked you directly to the drivers. Oh it is zipped did you DL a utility like winzip to open the archive?

13. TotallyUseless

I tried clicking on your link a few times but although it seemed to work at first a circle on the top left hand corner just kept going around and around so I googled it to download.

I have no idea what zipped, DL or winzip, or open the archive means. I am a basic computer user, don't know the mechanism behind it, or the jargon. OH is just as bad, otherwise I would have asked him.

14. haycg

haycg

2 things to try in Kelly's Corner - Left column for both - 6 or 371 - Left click and than again left click run. If you get the realtek driver downloaded and it still doesn't work
    try the above. Kelley's corner = http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!