1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost USB Drive

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by anonboi, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anonboi

anonboi Thread Starter

Hi,

I lost my USB drive and obviously all the files in it. Is there a way for Word to recover data from the drive if it was once opened on the computer from the drive? Same goes for Excel, or any other program for that matter.

Thanks!

2. mkenal

mkenal

Unfortunately, no in most cases. The exception would be if the program had unexpectedly closed before you saved the file and the program did an auto-backup, in which case it would restore the file next time you opened the program. However, MS Office programs (and indeed most programs of this nature) automatically delete backups as soon as the file is saved or the program is closed in a normal manner.

You didn't happen to email any copies to yourself or anyone else at any point, did you? If so, check your email's sent folder - you may be able to recover a copy (at least an older one) that way.

Sorry for your loss! I know it's frustrating (same thing has happened to me on more than one occasion).

3. jdl

jdl

To avoid loss in the future, backup, backup, backup.

There's a free backup program that I've used for many years. Quick and easy, it's free for limited use. Their definition of limited use is "no more than 40,000 files per 30 day period." That's probably more than enough for your USB drive.
    I got so dependent on the program that I exceeded the limits and bought the pro version (on sale now for $19.95)

Look for it here.

4. JackAlexander

JackAlexander

Did you back up the files of your USB drive to any computer? If you didn't it's impossible to recover them on your computer, as all the data are stored in the disk of USB drive. You lost the USB then sorry you lost everything in it.
    I hope you have backed them up while opened in your computer. And if so even you threw these files to the recycle bin and deleted them, they are still recoverable. As far as I know some data recovery tool like Wondershare Data Recovery can deal with this problem. Don't know what exactly your situation like?

5. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    It's not funny, and no consolation, but you don't know that you need a backup 'till it happens and you don't have it.
    Murphy always comes along when most unexpected.
    The price of disks and usb sticks is so low that there is no excuse, and yes, I invested in a simple backup program 'just in case'

'On a clear disk you can see forever' ... anonymous

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Yes, this weekend Fry's had a 1TB interal drive for $54.00 US and a 500 external USB for $63.00 US.

7. mkenal

mkenal

If you can afford it, get TWO backups... my external hard drive (my backup) was what crashed, and my computer itself very shortly thereafter. I can get the data off the drive, but at a cost of anywhere from $900-$3500 (for a $150 drive). Make sure you mirror them as often as possible (I'd say at least daily if you use your computer daily, otherwise every time you use it). If you do lots of work and would be devastated if you lost your files (such as writing, drafting, graphic design, etc.), back up and mirror the drives at least once every two hours while you're using them.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice