1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lost video card drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elfin, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elfin

elfin Thread Starter

i recently performed a full system restore on an hp pavilion, what i didnt know is that a new video card had been installed in the computer an i apparently lost its drivers. the problem is that i cant complete the setup process because the monitor screen is black the video card is a Matrox MGA 64 bit
    1164SG-A any ideas on what i can do to fix this?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you still have the old video card or if its integrated then use that video card for the Restore Process then go back to the Matrox card.

4. elfin

elfin Thread Starter

video is lost when windows loads the setup process

5. elfin

elfin Thread Starter

the old card is integrated but apparently dont work cause i just get colors and lines all over the screen

6. brite750

brite750

Buy a cheap card

7. brite750

brite750

wait a minute you said you had a new card how can it be intergrated

8. elfin

elfin Thread Starter

the old card cannot be removed. someone added a new card so there are 2 in it now.

9. norton850

norton850

elfin

Let's start over

Take out the "new" video card. Boot up. What happens?

10. elfin

elfin Thread Starter

ok. let me explain exactly what is happening here. this was my aunt's computer, she broke the onboard video card and so had a new one put in. and it was working just fine until she tried to system restore the computer with the hewlett packard system restore option. now the setup cannot be completed because at that point i lose video. i know the setup process is waiting to be completed because i can hear it. i am assuming the drivers were lost when the system restor was ran because that formats the harddrive. how can i install the drivers with the os not fully setup? or is that not possible at all?

11. brite750

brite750

So your ob video is dead, unfortunately that is what you need when your reformatting until your os is up and running, unless someone knows how to load video drivers w/o an os you might be screwed, just copying them would not work they must be installed thru windows i beleive. You might be looking at a new mobo, sorry.

12. LINKUP20GS

LINKUP20GS

ok this is what i am getting you ran the system restore disk provided. you never mentioned what type system you were running. reguardless did this run all the way through until the reboot with video? i do you get your flash screen? can you access your bios? can you start in safe mode? truthfully it sounds as if your screen resolution is set too high for your onboard video? and your bios is set to use your onboard video instead of your pci or agp card. sound a little out there try hitting f8 during post and enter in safe mode using your old video. if you can access the desktop you should be able too set the resolution to something that will work. try 800x600 or lower if you can. if your getting color distorted or not then your operating system is loading drivers for your card.if ou get nowhere like that then it should load basic drivers for your pci or agp card if they are active in your bios/setup. try disableing your onboard video through your bios/setup and activating your new card usually accessed by hitting the delete key during the post. good luck

13. elfin

elfin Thread Starter

i think i am screwed i have tried everything. i even installed win 98 and it picks up new video card. the xp restore is picking up original card which does not work. in bios my only options are pci and onboard and neither one works.
    i dont know what else to do.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice