Lost Virtual Machine

Kolias

I have a Vmware Workstation 12 player installed in my Windows 8.1 laptop (since 2016) and on the player I have installed XP-PRO 2002. Today I had a hard time installing LinuxMint on the player and decided to re install the player. After the re install the XP-PRO was not in the virtual machines but the folder with all directories and files where XP-PRO was installed from remained intact.

There are many directories and files on the XP-PRO folder and I wonder if there is a way to direct Vmware to recognize again XP-PRO.

I attach a snip of the directories / files if it helps
Capture.JPG

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I haven't used VMware player before. But the file you want to point the player to is the "Windows XP Professional.vmx" file. This file is the config file for the virtual machine. The actual virtual machine data itself is the vmdk file.

Kolias

Thanks for your time,

Actually I found the problem, Vmware keeps its log file in

appdata\local\temp\vmware-my name\vmware –xxxx.log

Kind of strange place to keep a critical log file. I was cleaning my files yesterday and I removed this log but luckily it was in my recycle bin and restoring it, I’m now back in business like before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online