Lost windows 7, instailled windows 8 release preview

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ymcmb1000

I downloaded windows 8 release preview and some things dont work i.e softwars downloaded programs and was going to reinstaill windows 7 but i didnt back it up or i have no disc or any disc that came with my computer and when i bought the computer(new from store) it had windows 7 on it. i must have wiped windows 7 when downloading windows 8 and i have no idea what to do or get windows 7 instailled with out buying the windows 7 disc because i did already buy it and just so happen to uninstaill it .....Any ideas? Thanks!

TerryNet

Terry
Sounds like you had/have a Recovery Partition but did not make a set of Recovery DVDs. On most systems when you install another OS you also destroy the special MBR that lets you boot to the Recovery partition. Assuming that's the case for you the best option is to see if you can purchase (probably about $10 - $20 US) a set of Recovery DVDs from the PC manufacturer.

Alternatively you can try to borrow the appropriate installation DVD from a friend or relative.

ymcmb1000

so even if i cant find windows 7 anywere on the computer to try and boot it and its completely wiped off the computer and the only OS on the computer is windows RP i can still buy a windows 7 recovery disc of the windows 7 i had on the computer and it should uninstall windows 8 and install windows 7?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What's the brand name and model name and complete model number of your computer?

What's the complete version of Windows that's on the Microsoft COA sticker that has the 25-character product key?

------------------------------------------------------------

ymcmb1000

What's the brand name and model name and complete model number of your computer?

What's the complete version of Windows that's on the Microsoft COA sticker that has the 25-character product key?

------------------------------------------------------------
This?> Windows 7 home prem OA you want the 25 characters PK?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
brand name HP Pavilion p6 Model no. p6-2003w
You apparently have a HP Pavilion p6-2003w (product number QP806AA) desktop.

It was introduced in October 2011 in the United States and Canada and came with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1(64-bit) installed.

A recovery disc kit is available for it here.

--------------------------------------------------------------

TerryNet

Terry
i can still buy a windows 7 recovery disc of the windows 7 i had on the computer and it should uninstall windows 8 and install windows 7?
Yes, and flavallee did a great job leading you to that answer! :)

ymcmb1000

i didnt think i should and yes he did! Tank you !!, ill mark it solved when i get the disc and if it worked!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You're welcome. :)

Make sure to disconnect any optional devices (printer, webcam, camera, external hard drive, etc.) BEFORE you do a system recovery.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts