1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lost windows 98 need help

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bearsicecream, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bearsicecream

bearsicecream Thread Starter

yesterday I decided to add windows xp as a separate operating system along with my windows 98. The install proceded for about 60 minutes looking at files. Win xp said it was installing. after 30 minutes it died. My machine locked up. I rebooted and the win xp logo appeared. I looked for windows 98 and it isn't available on my machine. The windows 98 files seem to have been renamed or moved elsewhere. Is it possible to retrieve my reliable windows 98 without formating my drive and losing all my files.

In a sweat and ready to dump windows xp. Help me pleeeeeese.
    :confused:

2. john1

john1

Hi bearsicecream,

Welcome to the site,

If you have your Windows 98 CD disk
    then i think you can re-install and choose
    to keep your files.

If you dont have your 98 CD any more,
    then i dont know what you could do.

John

3. bearsicecream

I did as you said and it worked. I now have 2 operating systems on my computer. The Xp didnt work but now I have windows 98 again. There are still some minor issues to deal with. My computer boots to safe mode on startup and requests device drivers missing from the System ini file. When the computer appears to enter the Win98 start mode it shuts down with the message "error loading atmsys.drv
    Any suggestions.
    PS. My drive still contains all my files. Thanks for your support.:)

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The error involves Adobe Type Manager. This can be disabled by editing your system.ini file. Since you can boot up in safe mode, try this. Run system.ini from start>run. It will open in Notepad.

edit the entry under the [Boot] header. It will read:

[Boot]
    SYSTEM.DRV=ATMSYS.DRV
    ATM.SYSTEM.DRV=SYSTEM.DRV

Change it to read:

[Boot]
    SYSTEM.DRV=SYSTEM.DRV

Close the file and save the changes when prompted.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q69692

5. bearsicecream

Thanks "Rollin Rog"

You were right on the money. I now have windows 98 back. There is still one problem left, when the start up goes into windows it states that I am using the wrong video driver. It asks me to search for the correct video hardware. It goes to the net to upgrade the hardware with new drivers, I set my settings and everything looks OK. When I reboot it looses the settings and I must repeat everything over again. I did that last night for 5 hours with no success. Any one have suggestions?
    Ps. When I am upgrading the driver it asks me to insert the windows 98se cd. When I do it goes to the required directory and says the files cannot be found. Any help would be appreciated.

Signed discusted with windows:mad:

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Unfortunately Windows cannot always be left to its own devices to find the right video drivers. And in some cases the right monitor driver has to be installed as well for settings to hold.

But we need to know the type of video card you have installed. Then, hopefully, we can point you to the correct driver download.

Do you have that information? What does it currently say in the Device Manager under Display Adapter.

And what is the brand name and model number of your computer?

7. bearsicecream

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT. My video card is a #D prophet 4000xt made by Hercules Technologies., The Monitor is a Mag DX17F made by Mag Innovision. The computer is a Hewlett Packard 733 model number HP-Pavilion 8595c.
    The settings under Device manager read the Display Adapter as a 3D prophet.
    The monitor setting are generic. I tried to install the monitor but it doesn't take. Hope You Can Help

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Here's a page with the latest drivers for XP. If you haven't installed those, I would do it. Manufacturer instructions vary, I haven't read theirs, but once you download the files, read their info and follow instructions. You will probably have to uninstall the old ones first and install the new ones from safe mode.

http://europe.hercules.com/support/supportf.php?lk=H18

The trick to getting Monitor driver .inf installs to hold is to not use the add new hardware wizard or rely on Windows redetecting and installing after removing. You need to install them through the Display adapter>change monitor page. Here's how MS says to do it:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;q132839

These instructions are for Win98, I know; but see if a similar issue applies in XP.

Here's Mag's page; it looks like they only have one .inf file....

http://www.maginnovision.com/Service_Support/drivers/monitors.html

9. bearsicecream

Thanks Rollin' Rog, I tried all the sites you mentioned and sad to say I still had no luck.
    I spent another evening installing and reinstalling my monitor and software for my video card along with new updated drivers for all of the above.

I reboot and everything looks normal. I shut down and on this reboot I loose all my settings. IT is here that the problem occurs. Once the computer boots up it goes through the startup with no problems, then I get the message that my system has found new hardware and needs drivers to support it. It then goes through the process of installing drivers. I reboot and low and behold its OK again; but only until I reboot. Then it asks for drivers again.

Mystified in Nova Scotia.

:confused:

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Definitely a puzzler. I would have a look at the Device Manager entries for the Video card and Monitor in safe mode. Here you can sometimes find what are called "ghost" entries which can cause conflicts and confusion in the detection process. If you see more than one entry for the Monitor or Dispay card, remove all of them and let the redetection and driver reinstall do it's thing again.

There is also a link here for configuring Display issues in XP.

I haven't looked through them, but it's worth having.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;winxp

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice