1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost Windows CD, how to reinstall?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tethys, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tethys

Tethys Thread Starter

My aunt is having some problems with her PC, and I'm hoping that I can fix it without a reformat. Mostly because she does not have a recovery disc. Her computer was given to her by a friend, but he kept all the OS discs and has subsequently moved away.

We do have her serial number. She's running XP Home. I have an XP Pro CD, but I have a feeling that it's not going to help.

Does anyone know of a way to get a replacement installation CD? Or if it's possible to repair Home from a Pro CD?

2. sy2

sy2

3. lemondrop

lemondrop

I once accidentally did a repair install off an XP pro disk to an XP home machine. Worked fine for me, and I never heard about any further complaints. I don't think the core system files which get "fixed" are that much different from home to pro.

Of course this was my own personal experience and I cannot vouch for it's reliability. ;)

4. Tethys

Tethys Thread Starter

Thank you, I didn't know they'd do that. I'll contact them right away.

As far as repairing goes, I guess I'll muddle through without it, unless I've got no choice. Lemondrop's experience gives me hope, but the posts from that other forum are kinda scary. Maybe I'll try it if MS sends me a new CD ;)

My aunt's system isn't really messed up, I don't think, it just "runs slow". And we all know the likely source of that :)

Thanks again guys!

5. Blitze105

Blitze105

I highly doubt they will give you a new CD.... you may want to just use your cd.
    -blitze

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is this serial number on an official certificate of ownership with a Microsoft seal?

7. physician

physician

What brand computer does she have? If its a Dell, call customer support, tell them the problem and they will take you thru the steps to reset the computer and have it like it was brand new...doc

8. Blitze105

Blitze105

if so answer 20 questions from MS and they will send u a CD. Fairly simple... if not im not so sure, sorry to say that...
    -blitze

9. Jbirk

Jbirk

Hi,

You can repair a Home install with a Pro install. You are supposed to match the service pack numbers though. If you repair Home with Pro, you will actually be repairing and upgrading all at once.

She will need to have a licence to run Pro too.

Here is my suggestion:

Get a replacement XP Home CD. It should be the same type too. For example if she had an OEM, it should be an OEM, if it is a Retail, you need a retail CD. They are a little bit different and accept different keys.

What you need is the CD that accepts the Product Key she is licenced to use on her computer.

10. Blitze105

Blitze105

if ur suggesting using the Pro cd key that they have already, that'd be illegal. I don't care, but i thought you should know. (not you, but the people trying this)
    -blitze

11. Jbirk

Jbirk

No, I did not suggest she do anything illegal.

I said, "She will need to have a licence to run Pro too"

That means, If you do a repair install of XP Home with an XP Pro CD, she will have to buy an XP Pro licence.

That is why I recomended she obtain a replacement CD of XP Home and use her Origional XP Home Product Key for the Licence she already owns.

Please note obtaining a replacement CD should not be illegal as it is only media. It is the Licence /w Product Key you pay for. This means if she has say a Dell OEM XP Home CD, and you have a Dell OEM Home CD, the CDs should be identical. Provided you use her Product Key (The licence she paid for), it should be legal.

She can very likely talk to her OEM or to Microsoft depending on whether her CD was OEM or Retain and obtain a free replacement without a Product Key.

At work we have a Volume Licence to run XP Pro (aka XP Corp). Essentially, we pay a discounted rate to run XP on workstations and can make images, copy the CD... provided we do not go over the number of licences we purchased. In fact, if we want more CDs, all we have to do is copy them or ask MS and they will mail us more CDs. The CDs are only the media. It is Licence that must be paid for.

-Jbirk

12. Tethys

Tethys Thread Starter

Thanks for the additional replies.

I don't believe she's got an OEM version, and I know she didn't buy it from Dell, Gateway, etc. I -think- her friend either built it for her or bought it from a local builder. I'm going down there today to check her machine and see what she's got available. She lives quite far from me, so I can't pop in to see her regularly.

I'm really hoping we can get a new CD from Microsoft, since I don't know where else I'd get ahold of an XP Home CD, but I'm going to have to see it first.

Thanks again :)

13. Solid_Froggy

Solid_Froggy

They will just tell you to call Microsoft T_T .

14. Blitze105

Blitze105

I was just commenting that it would be illegal to use the same key, didn't mean to accuse you. :) ...just considering all the possibilities...
    -blitze

15. Jbirk

Jbirk

It is not illegal to use the same key she origionally used on her computer.

What that means is that you look on the computer, find the product key on the little sticker, and type that in whe installing XP on that computer.

If her computer does not have the product key on the stiker and she cannot find her Retail Product Key, she will be SOL and simply have to buy it again.

-Jbirk

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/385587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice