1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost Windows System .exe Files

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by kbcruzn, Nov 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kbcruzn

kbcruzn Thread Starter

I'm trying to find a source to replace a few lost system files for Windows 98 which had to be deleted due to viral infection. The system still operates, but I'm sure the files are still of some importance and they don't appear to be anywhere on my Win98 cd. The missing files are as follows:

Windows\Command\rundle2.exe
    Windows\Command\rundle.exe
    Windows\Java\Server\saw.exe
    Windows\Java\Server\set.exe
    Windows\Java\Server\was.exe
    Windows\Java\Server\textdrive.exe
    Windows\deadday.exe

2. Sharon D

Sharon D

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It sounds like you have all ready done the scan. You may delete those files as they are created by the virus, do not belong with Windows and cannot be replaced.

You may need help editing the registry, see this symantec link for instructions. The virus named here is its alias:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.javakiller.trojan.html

Moving to the Security forum...

4. Sharon D

Sharon D

Yeah, you're right Rog, he already did a scan. I didn't read through his post closely enough. Sorry 'bout that kbcruzn.

5. kbcruzn

kbcruzn Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I wasn't aware that Trojans create their own files rather than attacking the existing ones. The trojan files were deleted by Norton before serious damage was done. I'll try that site to check my registry. As you said Rollin' Rog, it was a Java Killer.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice