1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost wireless connection, laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by godlesswonder, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. godlesswonder

godlesswonder Thread Starter

System in question;
    Aspire One D255E
    Win7 starter, Intel 1.66, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
    adapters;
    Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E (NDIS 6.20)
    Broadcom 802.11n

Hey all - connectivity issue here. My sis has the above laptop. For a year or better, she has been wirelessly connected to her local network, via a Linksys E2000 router without issue.

Rather suddenly a couple of weeks back, she found she had no connection. There were no changes to this network that I'm aware of (the users don't even know how to change settings online for said network). Several available networks show up on the list (hers and a couple of unsecured neighbors I believe). Despite full bars for her local network, clicking 'connect' has no visible effect. Nothing happens. Not like a 'failed to connect' or something similar, just...nothing.

I went through various steps such as;
    - assured that fn+F2 was not the issue, wireless is enabled
    - power down, wait and reboot the modem, router, and her laptop, in that order
    - 'hard' reset router at power up to restore defaults
    - uninstalled network adapter(s) and reinstalled - with the company site's latest drivers - they installed, and 'ready to use' appeared
    - released/renewed IP on laptop
    - ran the various (fairly useless) Windows network diagnostics which essentially told me I hadn't selected a network...which I had...repeatedly
    - Swapped out router completely with another (an older Linksys, though not certain of the model of that one), with the same results
    - Took laptop here, to a completely different network (also running a Linksys E200 here), again with the same results

The local network(s) I'm attempting to connect to are unsecured - no password required, etc.

The laptop does connect fine when wired.

So, any idea what I should try next? My experience here is rather limited, and I've run out of ideas. Thanks much for any suggestions!

I've attached a ipconfig /all text doc from the laptop, though I ran xirrus, I can't seem to get it to attach it(?). Perhaps the size req.? Not sure. Any more info needed, let me know. Thanks.

*edit, pic attached as well, just didn't show ;)

Attached Files:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site. If that driver is already installed reinstall it anyhow in case the installed instance is corrupted.

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista and 7 and 8.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. godlesswonder

godlesswonder Thread Starter

It had the standard Windows security, along with AVG. Both were disabled this morn during the majority of tests I've been suggested (I'm juggling about a dozen diff forums - ugh) to eliminated possible interference from either.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista and 7 and 8.

Done. Sadly no noticeable effect. I'd actually tried the last two (IPv4 and 6) the previous evening via a suggestion on another forum, but hadn't reset winsock. Tried all three this go 'round to no avail. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's tough on you and tough on the people trying to help, as they don't know everything that may be happening.

Please reply here again when and if you have given up on the other forums. :)

5. BlueFinisher

BlueFinisher

I had the same issue with an oldes ACER laptop. on that one, it was a fried wifi card.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice