1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost wireless connection to printer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by emelienne, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emelienne

emelienne Thread Starter

My Partner is a professor at a major university and conducts a consulting business from home. We have 2 old desktops and a new HP Pavilion notebook on our home wireless network. The new notebook was set up by a University tech person 12/10 and was functioning properly. All the computers are linked to our older hp Laser Jet 1300 PCL 6 printer.

One day the notebook froze and when rebooted it had lost its connection to the printer. I have done everything I know and followed numerous "geek" instructions to reconnect. So far I have succeeded only in losing my own printer access on my old Dell Dimension 2400 desktop.

Prior to that, however, both old desktops were printing, even as the new notebook did not. Connection to the Internet is fine and the signal strength from the new Belkin router is "Excellent". I am not tech savy, but can do many things and follow clear instructions very well. My experience with "tech support" from the University is a lot of wasted money and the problems remain. I am taking steps to become responsible for the maintenance of our network. In the meantime...will anyone assist me, please?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so the situation is that that the 3 machines are working and see each other and also the internet
    the two desktops see the printer and it works wirelessly all OK with those
    and the new laptop does not see the printe r

is that correct?

How is this connected up?

I'm not sure i fully understand the full status and connection of all the kit and what works and does not - would you be able to explain further or again
    just list the kit

Router <wireless> desktop make and model
    Router <wireless> printer
    Router <wireless> Desktop make and model - <USB> Printer make and model

and what works and what does not

3. emelienne

emelienne Thread Starter

Please excuse ignorance of terms. If I do not provide appropriate info, just tell me where to look for it.

First answer: Correct, The three machines are working. I don't know if they see each other. How do I test? The laptop was the only one that did not see the printer until I did something to lose the printer connection on Desktop #2 also. So now I can print only from Desktop #1.

Here is the info you requested, I hope:

Desktop #1: Compaq Presario 5000
    Router (also newly installed 12/10) Belkin Share N300 Wireless N Router
    Printer: hp Laser Jet 1300 PCL 6

Desktop #2: Dell Dimension 2400 (Windows XP Prof.)
    Laptop: Pavilion dv7 (Windows 7, 64bit)

4. emelienne

emelienne Thread Starter

Also, printer is connected to Router.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so just to confirm

Router <connected> HP Printer
    Is that by cable or wireless

HP Printer ONLY connected to the router

Desktop #1 can print to the HP printer
    Desktop #2 CANNOT print to HP printer
    LAPTOP CANNOT print to HP printer

What windows version is on Desktop #1 and #2

lets try this first
    On the Laptop
    Start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore > choose a date when the printer worked

6. emelienne

emelienne Thread Starter

Okay. I so appreciate your help.

I've been checking the physical setup. This may be of value: Router is connected to hp printer AND Desktop (DT)#1 by CABLE. This is the only PC that can print at present.

Affirmative that DT#2 and laptop cannot print to HP printer at present.

Both DT #1 #2 have Windows XP Professional; only the laptop is Windows 7.

While I am working, check this out, please. November 4, 2008 TerryNet successfully advised with a similar issue. He asked "leneal" to 1) disable the encryption on the router 2)connect the printer via the wireless 3) re-enable the encryption and reconnect

If this were to be a possible solution, I have no idea how to do it. I have explored my system for access to router settings. No success.

Thanks, give me a minute to go to restore.

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    are these both connected with wireless ?

8. emelienne

emelienne Thread Starter

This machine does not have Accessories. Under Control Panel I can go to Systems and Security and restore files from a previous date, but this is all I can find that resembles what you say. I can restore files from a month ago when the printer was working. Shall I do?

9. emelienne

emelienne Thread Starter

Yes to quote. Both are wireless.

10. emelienne

emelienne Thread Starter

Hang on. I found System Restore. Back in a moment.

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    not control panel

Start > All Programs >accessories>system tools>system restore > choose a date when the printer worked

Interesting that the wireless devices cannot see the Cable connected printer - may mean nothing

12. emelienne

emelienne Thread Starter

Okay, I can restore my system to 1/13/11 just after the new router and laptop were introduced. I will lose some things but I think I can reinstall anything important. Shall I proceed?

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you are happy to

14. emelienne

emelienne Thread Starter

Have done restoration, re-installation, etc. Neither laptop or desktop #2 will print so much as a test page. The printer is working as I can print a test page from there. I thank you very much for your help.

FYI, there truly is no Accessories option on this machine. One must go to Control Panel and look under Systems and Security. Everything looks different here, including All Programs.

Thanks again.

Em

15. emelienne

emelienne Thread Starter

Dear Etaf,

I just read a solution you provided for UrbanTony in Feb. of last year. I am so out of my league here. If you had given me that instruction I would never have been able to respond. I didn't know the printer had its own IP address. I need to learn so much more before I accept this challenge. Finding tech support locally seems to be the answer for the nonce. I hate to admit this, but I am just in over my head. I'm sure you are great. Thanks again for your time.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!