1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lost xp key

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tderose, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tderose

tderose Thread Starter

I bought a Dell computer with xp media. It had a reinstallation disk, but I lost the key. How can I find the key of my installed xp os so that I can reinstall the operating system from my Dell disks?
    Ted

2. lister

lister

The Dell Discs insert the key automatically.
    Apart from that, the product key will be on a sticker on the case somewhere.

3. tderose

tderose Thread Starter

I thought so too, but it doesn't. Of course, the system or registry is acting so badly that I am not sure why. That is why I have to repair or reinstall. Isn't there some place in the REGISTRY where the key is recorded.
    I am not trying anything illegal. Obviously, if I have the key for the installed system, the only thing that it will install is the original disk.
    I hate to buy another os disk if I have the one I need sitting there. I hate to have to call Dell. It gets so tangled.
    Ted

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

5. ~Candy~

Also, I could be wrong, but I think reinstalling from the Dell cds will find the key automatically.

6. tderose

tderose Thread Starter

Thank you. I will try. I have had a strange problem with the os since I got it. It always tells me that I don't have permission to do something, so I am not sure that it wants to let me reinstall stuff. I have grandchildren who seem to think bikes are more important that email, so I will return later.
    Ted

7. ~Candy~

You have to be logged in with administrator rights.

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

Look on the side of the tower . . or bottom of a laptop. . the COA should be on a sticker there . . the little programs that look at the registry for the Product Code will return the wrong one on Dells . .

If you use the Dell reinstallation disc, it is unlikely to ask for the COA, but some of the newer Microsoft verification routines may.

9. jamesie33

jamesie33

There is a program for checking which CD key you are currently using.. sure it would be useful to you.. unsure if its strictly legal though so i can't say any more..

James

10. jamesie33

jamesie33

11. ~Candy~

That gives me a big error report to send to Microsoft :eek:

12. tderose

tderose Thread Starter

It gave me an error also. The #1 Today, 02:34 PM
    tderose
    Member Join Date: Dec 2001

lost xp key

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a Dell computer with xp media. It had a reinstallation disk, but I lost the key. How can I find the key of my installed xp os so that I can reinstall the operating system from my Dell disks?
    Ted

tderose
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to tderose
    Send email to tderose
    Find all posts by tderose
    Add tderose to Your Buddy List
    #2 Today, 02:38 PM
    lister
    Senior Member Join Date: Aug 2004
    Experience: Intermediate

The Dell Discs insert the key automatically.
    Apart from that, the product key will be on a sticker on the case somewhere.

lister
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to lister
    Find all posts by lister
    Add lister to Your Buddy List
    #3 Today, 02:47 PM
    tderose
    Member Join Date: Dec 2001

lost xp key

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought so too, but it doesn't. Of course, the system or registry is acting so badly that I am not sure why. That is why I have to repair or reinstall. Isn't there some place in the REGISTRY where the key is recorded.
    I am not trying anything illegal. Obviously, if I have the key for the installed system, the only thing that it will install is the original disk.
    I hate to buy another os disk if I have the one I need sitting there. I hate to have to call Dell. It gets so tangled.
    Ted

tderose
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to tderose
    Send email to tderose
    Find all posts by tderose
    Add tderose to Your Buddy List
    #4 Today, 02:58 PM
    AcaCandy
    Administrator Join Date: Jan 2001
    Experience: Advanced

Some dell systems put it on the side of the case too.

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

seems to work nicely.

Ted

13. jamesie33

jamesie33

hmm try a google search for an xp key viewer

14. Old Rich

Old Rich

How old is that Dell . . for a while, Dell was using a recovery partition that was accessed by pressif F12 on boot . .

This is a great guide for reinstalling on a Dell: http://www.djdenham.com/Install Procedures.htm

Again . . if that operating system was installed by Dell, the keyfinders will return the Master License that Dell uses to image drives . . not the COA

15. tderose

tderose Thread Starter

Wow. This is more help than I expected. I will try this tomorrow and get back to you.
    Ted

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/412722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice