1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by JOSETTE2006, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JOSETTE2006

JOSETTE2006 Thread Starter

Hello:

I was wondering if you might know why, or maybe even show me how to retrieve files that's been hijacked. I don't know how else to describe it other than just that, "HIJACKED!" I'll make it short so I don't waste any tech's time, and hope that someone can assist me.

It started like so:
    I have a folder called, "My Documents" (like everyone else who has a computer). Within that, I've created a folder specifically called, "My Downloads", which is self-explanatory. I've been placing downloaded programs, documents, etc. After logging on the next day, I go into my download folder only to find nothing! Not even a spreckle of "Sample Pictures" folder. :eek: The only thing I did - which I have a habit of doing - is clean my temporary folders file, cookies and history folder. I then do a disk cleanup and defrag is necessary. Afterwards, I'd shut down my computer.

Now, I know that I did NOT move any of my saved files within my downloads folder nor even deleted or burned it onto a CD but there it WASN'T (as oppose to 'There it WAS'). <== I'm trying to amuse myself as I am so frustrated at the ghostly deed.

Anyway, when I tried doing a search for one of the files, and the search was finished, it found what was similar in name, so I decided to click on that item and chose to "Open Containing Folder" (I thought if I did that, I'd be able to find maybe close to any of the items that were missing).

Sure enough! I found them. All of them. :) ... But ... they were shortcuts, and only shortcuts. More important, they were all under the Java folder. :eek:

I tried to open one, and the pop-up came up stating that the item was either moved or deleted, and the only option I had was either to delete the chosen item or keep the shortcut. Not a mention of wanting to find the item myself. What the ??? :confused: :mad: :eek: :(

• Can anyone tell me if there was a hijack done on my computer?
    • Would I be able to retrieve my stuff if I use those data recovery programs those respected companies such as CNET, ZDnet, Download.com have advertised on a trial basis?
    • Can I get that dirty @#%@# who hijacked my stuff, if of course, that was the case?
    Please help. Kindly appreciate it. :eek: :(

Josette2006

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/446345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice