1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lot of noise from speakers - driver problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xelaw, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xelaw

xelaw Thread Starter

I inadvertently deleted my sound card driver - Sbpci128 (don't ask why - it was early in the morning and I was in a rush).

I run Win98SE on a PIII 733 MHz machine, and I couldn't find the original driver file. The PC is over 3 years old, and the sound card is on board the mother board, and I wasn't sure which file on the CD was the sound card driver.

So I went to the Creative site and downloaded and installed a file called
    "SBPCI128Setupus_w9x" which I thought was the correct driver update.

However, now I get a lot of noise from my speakers all the time, and I can barely hear music if I play a music file.

What to do?

2. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

i'm not familiar with win98se, but other versions of windows have device manager, which can automatically find your driver for you from the cd. i get to device manager by way of the my computer icon, then i choose properties, then device manager tab. it shows me any devices that are having problems, and if i choose new drivers for them, it will search the drive i tell it to for the best driver.

3. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

p.s.- you may have better luck with this post in the win98se forum...

4. Rockn

Rockn

Onboard audio drivers are tricky. The best bet would be to go to the PC manufacturer's web site to get the correct drivers or the the motherboard manufacurer's web site if it is a home build.

5. xelaw

xelaw Thread Starter

Kerri Ann. thanks for the advice - I know about Device Manager, but the problem is I'm not sure that the driver I installed is the wrong one, and maybe the problem is somehow in my configuration or an IRQ conflict? I'll probably do as you suggest and post this on the Win98SE forum.

Rockn - You're right, I'm going to take a look at the motherboard manufacturer's web site.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Crack open the case and read the model number of that soundcard. On the card there should be a number like CT-XXXX - thats the correct model. Then go to http://www.americas.creative.com/support/ and type that number in the Model Number box at the bottom.

7. xelaw

xelaw Thread Starter

Triple6 - thankyou, but as I said in my original post, the sound is on board the mother board (maybe I shouldn't have used the term "sound card", since it's part of the Intel chipset), so I don't know where I'll find the model number of the sound. What I have done is followed Rockn's suggestion and found the driver for Creative ES1373 PCI sound chip. I downloaded it, but haven't installed it yet until I figure out exactly how to remove the wrong driver I put in, and install the new one.

Creative has a technical note on it's site "How to Clean Sweep and Reinstall Sound Blaster PCI128" which I'm planning to use as my instruction manual (except for the reinstall).

But the downloaded driver file is a 22 MB zipped file with lots of subdirectories and different files that are called "setup.exe", and not much info on how to install. I'm trying to do some more investigation before I install this time, and any helpful suggestions will be welcome.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well, if its onboard thats even easier. All you have to do is go to the motherbaord's manufacturer's website and look up your mobo, then download the correct driver.

The model number should be marked on the board, or you can use AIDA32 to help identify it: http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32

9. xelaw

xelaw Thread Starter

Triple6 - thankyou, but I already downloaded the ES1373 sound driver on the site for my motherboard (PC Partner). I then tried uninstalling the wrong PCI128 driver, and installing the driver I had downloaded from the motherboard site, and this is what happened.

I removed the "Creative PCI128 Sound Blaster" from the Device Manager (I didn't find it in Add/Remove Programs). Then I rebooted my (Win98SE) system, expecting that Windows would ask me for a new driver. However Windows just found and reinstalled the PCI128 driver again, without giving me any choice, and the result was the same (a lot of noise).

I then double clicked on "Creative Sound Blaster PCI128" in the Device Manager, and then on "Update Driver" in the Drivers tab, and sent it to the location ("Install from disk - browse") on my hard drive where I had the ES1373 driver file. Windows said "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware" and refused to proceed.

So how do I uninstall and install these drivers?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice