1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lots and lots of data lost

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Biffster, Nov 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Biffster

Biffster Thread Starter

Hello.... My worst nightmare just happened.... I think I've lost 100gb of data......
    Ok here is how it happened: I have a Western Digital 200gb hard drive, on a 1200mhz cpu, so I needed somthing for my disk space barrier. So I got the latest LifeGuard Tools from the official WD homepage.... everything worked fine, untill yesterday, then I started getting the messages of a corrupt file or directory, and windows advised me to use scandisk... Because I have winXP I had to reboot the computer to run scandisk.

Well It looked like scandisk fixed something, but the files were gone... that was just a small problem because these were just 6 mp3's and I had a backup of them....

But this morning I couldn't open my hard drive (its an extra drive, the windows is on another drive so it works fine) so I rebooted again and ran scandisk..... and when it was done I could open the drive, but it was empty...... over 100gb of data gone....
    And I don't have bakup for all of it (about 50%)....

Are my files gone, or is it possible to recover them... And is there any solution for this problem, or is this disk not safe?

Please help!!

2. Sponsor

3. moebius

moebius

what was the file system on the drive?

4. Biffster

Biffster Thread Starter

5. moebius

moebius

hmmm. does LifeGuard Tools detect any data on the drive?

6. John Lutes

John Lutes

Boot the computer to XP and go to Control Panel/ Administrative Tools/ Computer Management/ Look in the Left column for Disk Management=click. Now in the Lower Left column you will see all the drives on your unit. The used and free space will also be listed. This will tell you if the data is being recognized. If the 100gigs of data is still there it will show up as used space.

Repost with what you see and maybe we can do something from there.

7. moebius

moebius

if the data shows up there, it should show up in my computer. he has a file system corruption problem

8. Biffster

Biffster Thread Starter

Ok, I'll try this, and I'll keep you posted.....
    But if the files are there, how can I use them.... Cause I cant see them, an Viewing hidden files doesn't show them either!

9. Biffster

Biffster Thread Starter

YESS! Most of the data came back after I ran scandisk again... but about 2 gigs are missing. The files are there but the size is 0kb and they dont work, but the rest works.... Any ideas why this has happened?

10. moebius

moebius

mite be a pertition error, repartition ur entire harddrive, better safe than sorry. if its a partition error, it will happen again

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/181301