1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lots and lots of XP problems - I'm tearing my hair out

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dmmrs, Jan 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmmrs

dmmrs Thread Starter

Ok, I have lots of XP problems:

Can't open My computer from the desktop, the computer just locks up whilst attempting to open it, showing me the animated torch, saying it is looking for files.

The computer is running really slow, locking up and crashing programs for no apparent reason.

Cant access the drop down box (shortcut key F4) in windows explorer/applications/anywhere.

Internet explorer refuses to do anything if I type a web address without the http:// into the address box. It worked before, but now it isn't for some reason.

Finally, when I restart windows, it locks up for anything up to 5 minutes when it comes back up. The windows bar with the start button on, when I pass my mouse over it, the pointer turns to an hourglass and I am unable to do anything unti it sorts itself out.

I have tried running several anti virus programs, including AVG, Mcafee and Norton. Only AVG came up with a virus, 'Dialler'. I cleared this and it didn't make any difference. I alos tried system restore from several points, but each time it told me that it was unable to restore.

If ANYONE can give me any help at all, I would be extremely grateful.

Yours,

Wayne Donnelly.

2. Sponsor

3. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

Did you install XP fresh or did you upgrade? My advice to people is format the harddrive and then install XP.

4. dmmrs

dmmrs Thread Starter

upgrade, but i cant find the cd anywhere anymore...

:(

5. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

Your problem sounds extensive and if I were in your shoes, I would start over, perhaps this time with Windows2000 Pro. Even Win98 sounds better than what you have.

6. Jtoast

Jtoast

go here to download Spybot and Startuplist.

Run/update spybot first and let it clean anything in red, then reboot.

if you still have a problem after that, then run startuplist and cut/paste a list of all your running programs so we can see what needs to be turned off.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/110940