1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lots of Blue Screens of Death! :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drakeonfire, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drakeonfire

drakeonfire Thread Starter

Hello all,

Basically - When I boot up my computer, I log in, then I get about 2 minutes before it gets a BSoD. Then I reboot it, log on and all is fine ... but if I turn my computer off say before I go to sleep, when I wake up, and turn it back on the process repeats... and the annoying thing is nearly all the BSoD codes are different!

I've attached a text file with all the text stuff from when Windows 7 asks me to check for a solution, there's a fair amount of errors in there and some of them have the same error code. The list in this file was started on the 11th January 2011...

My computer specification is:
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    4.00 GB RAM DDR2
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz
    500 GB Harddrive
    Creative SoundBlaster X-fi sound card
    nVidia geForce GTX 260
    and a network card...

(RAM and graphics and PSU are about a year old, everything else is older except Network card which was bought this christmas.)

Any ideas?

Thank you,
    Drake.

Attached Files:

2. rickmamo

rickmamo

try removing all but one mem stick and ensure the voltage and speed/latency settings for it in bios are correct if not set to auto already...if auto...then ensure it reports proper size for each one individually

3. drakeonfire

I'm just wandering if it is RAM though? I've had the RAM for ages and it never caused problems before... and on bootup it detects all 4GB of RAM, but I'll try your method come the weekend.

4. xXPing_PongXx

xXPing_PongXx

Does it happen when you're in Safe Mode? Here are the steps you can go through to access Safe Mode.
    Just before the Windows 7 splash screen shown above appears, press the F8 key to enter Advanced Boot Options and select Safe Mode with Networking. Also try doing a malware scan with Malwarebytes. After you have done the scan post the log back in here. Here's the link:

http://www.malwarebytes.org

5. drakeonfire

I haven't tried safemode yet - but I use malwarebytes already and when I scan (Not in safemode) it doesn't detect anything (The quick scan option). Should I do a full scan? and should it be in safe mode?

6. xXPing_PongXx

xXPing_PongXx

Definitely, try doing a full scan with Malwarebytes in Safe Mode. Post the log here if it finds anything.

7. drakeonfire

Righto - I've done a scan with malwarebytes and Avira antivirus in safe mode. I will do another one tonight just to be sure. but it didn't detect anything first time round. Also did 2 goes on memtest and it found no errors with my RAM.

I also used Reginout and it found a load of errors that I allowed it to correct .. So I guess I'll have to see over the next few days if anything is sorted or not!

8. xXPing_PongXx

xXPing_PongXx

Absolutely, thanks for posting back. Let us know.

9. drakeonfire

Righto - Thought everything was running smoothly but it's not :( Still got the problem it seems, this time the error code was 3b and it said something about the win32k.sys file. I was probably on my desktop loading firefox and WLM, started browsing the web then BAM. :(

Any ideas?

10. xXPing_PongXx

xXPing_PongXx

Did it find anything with the Malwarebytes scan?

11. drakeonfire

Not on the first, though my PC went into sleep or something when I did the second over night so it didn't totally complete, if I can't find a solution before this weekend I'll try the scan again!

12. xXPing_PongXx

xXPing_PongXx

I was reading the posts and you said the Network Card was bought recently, can you remove that and see if it happens?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

In addition to the above [which is good advise to pull the nic card] Enter your bios and check your temps and voltages; specifically the cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Post those here.

14. drakeonfire

Hello!

Sorry about my slowness, been rather busy. It's been getting worse because theres not always a BSoD now, but it sometimes restarts randomly with no error ... or it gets frozen at desktop where you can't do anything except restart sometimes (straight after login).

Also it got stuck on the motherboard screen thing when booting up a fair few times ...

But anyway - I've removed the Network card, and I booted it up and ... it restarted. then took me like 8 attempts to actually get it to boot. (It basically turns on, lots of flashly LED lights from my fans and them working at full power for like 10 seconds, then turns off and reboots, this is a loop and doesnt come out of it until i hit the switch).

But ... when it did boot up windows did some repairs (Oh god?) and it booted fine and here I am ... so I'll have to report back what happens next time when I reboot my PC.

Also ~ I'll check the CPU temps etc and report back in a moment (will also need to restart because of a Windows 7 update ... so wish me luck ;-))

15. drakeonfire

Well I just restarted my computer and everything was okay, though I'll find out over the next few days if it really is!

I went into BIOS and got these details:

System Temp: 30℃
    CPU Temp: 34℃
    CPU Fan: 1834℃
    Vcore: 1.204V
    DDR18V: 2.128V
    +3.3V: 3.360V
    +12V: 11.921V

Though the application CoreTemp says Core 0 is 40℃ and Core 1 is 51℃ ...

Hope this helps! I have no idea what those figures mean (voltage wise) as I'm clueless :p

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice