Lots of bugs - System Restore fails

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rygl55

Please help! I'm brand new to this site so please forgive any ignorance I might display.
I have an eMachines computer w/Pentium 4 and 256M RAM, running XP SP2. I've started to notice a few things out of whack while on the net. First of all, whenever I click on an email link Outlook Express opens (I normally use Yahoo! mail) but fails to send any messages which are accumulating in my outbox.
Then I noticed that I'm no longer able to download PDF files, even from sites that I've done so before. I just get a blank page with the 'red X in the box'.
The only thing I've installed lately is a security patch from MS (listed in the log below), so when I decided to do a ' system restore ' I expected no problem. System Restore (SR) always comes back with 'cannot restore' no matter which date I choose.
I went to this site and found some tips which I tried to no avail. These included booting in safe mode with the command prompt, entering the exact wording for the 'rstrui.exe file'. SR always runs but always comes back with 'cannot restore' no matter which date I choose.
Have I been infected? I've ran Norton Anti-Virus and MS Anti-Spyware and both came back clean. I'm very sure that none of these problems I'm having are due to my mistakes. I haven't changed any settings or messed with any config files nor the registry. I've included the text from 'eventvwr.msc \ system \ srservice' below (there were several of them but they were all the same, so I've just listed the most recent. It doesn't tell me much. Maybe it does for you.
Will someone please help me? I'm afraid I'm looking at a slowly deteriorating system, about to crash.
Here's the log:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: SRService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 111
Date: 1/10/2006
Time: 9:09:11 PM
User: N/A
Computer: ZIGGY
Description:
A restoration to "Installed Windows XP KB912919." restore point failed. No changes have been made to the system.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I went to this Help site and got this message:
We're sorry There is no additional information about this issue in the Error and Event Log Messages or Knowledge Base databases at this time. You can use the links in the Support area to determine whether any additional information might be available elsewhere.
None of the links appeared to be relevent. I need a solution quickly, please. Thank you for your time.
Gees! This is nuts! Just now when I logged on to your site, my custom cursor changed and will not give me the familiar pointing hand when I cursor over a link. This is a new glitch/bug. They just keep coming!:eek:

Hi Rygl55,

Could you please run the following "Diagnostic Test"? No personal information is collected in the test & ActiveX is used much the same as at Windows Update. If you are running XP w/SP2, please allow the ActiveX download. Following is the URL to the test site:
http://pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp

Enter you email address & a password so that you can save the test results or run a new test in the future. Each time you run a new test you will have to allow the download of the ActiveX utility.

At the end of the test, you will be on the "Summary Page". In the upper right corner, you will see "TechExpress". Click on it & you will see a URL starting with http and ending in 16 digits. Highlight the URL & "Copy". Paste the link in you next post.

Regards.

Hawk

For the first problem, the Outlook Express problem, that's normal, unless of course you have already set up Outlook Express. In that case, something's wrong. But, at any rate, most email links you click on on the internet are going to default and open Outlook Express. I don't know why, they just do. There is a way to change that I do believe, but I'm not to sure on how to do this, and I don't know the specifics, and it looks like you are having enough trouble as it is. :)

As far as the security patch from MS goes, seems it may be causing more problems than good. And since System Restore is no longer working, try this. Go into Add/Remove Programs and locate the fix. It will more than likely be listed as a Hot Fix there. Just look for the most recent one installed, and remove it. See if this fixes the issue. If not, you could always TRY SR again.

The reason you are getting that error in the Event Viewer is because when you try the System Restore, apparently something is going wrong in context with that security update, and it fails to restore/remove that file itself, and in turn fails to restore the system. I believe if you try removing the fix from Add/Remove Programs first, then trying the SR back BEFORE you installed the fix, you shouldn't have any problems with that.

As far as the cursor glitch goes...just go back into custom cursors and make sure no changes have been made. What with all the failed attempts at System Restore, you never know. That could have jumbled some things up a bit. I've had it happen to a few people over the phones.

Try these things, and get back to me on what happens.

Rygl55

Thanks for responding to both xSoilworkeRx and Hawk1:)
Tried deleting MS patch KB912919 and then did an SR - no good. Found a checkpoint titled 2:40:47 AM Software Distribution Service. I was in bed by then, but my brother was up and on the computer. I've never seen this entry before and I did not download Software Distribution Service nor can I find it in Add/Remove.
I did fix my cursor as xSoilworkeRx suggested and all is well there. Thanks much! At least we're gaining some ground.

Hawk1 - I visted the URL you listed and ran the diagnostic there. The URL you asked for displayed as http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=B7EX0WMUSWCS0UTR (cut & pasted)
I also ran the Reg cleaner and SpyBot I found there. Spybot listed 68 infections, most of which were tracking cookies, but a few were Trojans and other high-risk baddies. I'm strapped for cash, so I couldn't purchase the registered version for repairs. What now? :confused: (thanx for taking time to help me)

Hi again

You have a few problems as follows: With 256MB of RAM (Should be a minimum of 384MB or even better, 512MB), you barely have enough to run XP. Therefore, I would suggest that you either upgrade your RAM or maybe shut down a few items that are running. Click on the link again & go back to your summary. Click on Test Details in the right menu, scroll down to the blue/gray files & you will see these:

File Name Description
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe AOL Connectivity
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared ... \SymWSC.exe Norton Security Center
C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe Iomega Active Disk
C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe Iomega Zip support
C:\Program Files\CursorXP\CursorXP.exe CursorXP
C:\Program Files\ISP50\Bin\Bartshel.exe PeoplePC Ads
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe Spyware Doctor Helper
C:\Program Files\YourWare Solutions\FreeRAM X ... \FreeRAM XP Pro.exe FreeRAM
C:\WINDOWS\zHotkey.exe Multimedia Keyboard Driver
C:\Program Files\ATnotes\ATnotes.exe
C:\Program Files\Hushpage\WhatNext\WhatNext.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\WORDPAD.EXE

If you click on the blue Files, you will be given a suggestion. The gray Files will give you a Google search option to find out what they are. Any File you are not sure of, you can check at Answers that Work which is Here:http://www.answersthatwork.com/

You also have a buildup of junk files & fragmentation. I would suggest you consider downloading & running these Freeware Programs:

CleanUp! is a disk cleaner & can be found here:http://cleanup.stevengould.org/ CleanUp! is set to the default options & you can view these by clicking on options. If you see anything you don't want cleaned, just uncheck.

DisKeeper Lite is a defragger & can be found here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207

To delete IE temp files, go to TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS/GENERAL PAGE...about half way down page click on "Delete Files". To SET your IE Temp File Cache, click on settings & remove current amount then type in 50 to max. 80 & click OK.

To have your IE Temp File Cache emptied automatically, click on ADVANCED, scroll down to "Security" & put a check in the box that reads "Empty Internet File folder when browser is closed"/Apply/OK.

It is difficult to do anything with your BW as dialup has so many variables involved I think it is best to leave it be. You could contact your ISP & ask them if they could do anything.

After you conplete the above & you would like to retest, please post a new link to your results.

Regards,

Hawk

Rygl55

1/12/06 @10:54 PM

Hi again, Hawk1
I took all the steps you suggested, but used my Spring Cleaning software to clean up, and I defragged a few days ago. My new test came back at http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=B7EX0WMUSWCSP9TR
Does this help you any? What does it tell you about my System Restore problem? I did a test checkpoint and could restore back to that time, but still can't access the earlier ones.

Rygl55

Hi,
That's not what I wanted to hear. Not very helpful. I've been told by several that almost ANY file can be recovered with the right technique/software. I'm just not as ready to give up as your post would suggest. At least tell me what caused this situation in the first place, please. Just tryin' to learn...:confused:
Thanks for your effort (y)

Your System Restore is enabled (As you already know) but to do a SR, you can only restore to the dates highlighted. Any others you may have had are gone.

You are correct in your assumption that some files can be retrieved by using certain programs but to my knowledge, not SR.

With regard to your test, it is not all that bad. You do have some fragmentation which DK Lite would clear up. It is freeware and can be downloaded from here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207

There is not much you can do with your BW on dialup due to the many variables involved.

Your RAM is just sufficient to run XP & if you can, I would suggest you increase it to a minimum of 384MB but preferably 512MB.

I noted that your graphics are a bit low & wondered if you have the following update:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/36185

Regards,

Hawk

MysticEyes

Banned
I've been told by several that almost ANY file can be recovered with the right technique/software.
Well I guess, almost is the key word here. Just like saying any US citizen can become President.

It would appear that maybe you should spend some time looking into Software Distribution Service. and figure out which app you have that is updating itself. Some have found their restore points inaccessible after these late night updates.

http://www.google.com/search?lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Software Distribution Service

Rygl55

Hi, Hawk1
The restore points I'm trying to access are highlighted and show the name/time/date for each. Mystic Eyes might be right on with her single comment - they're trashed! Thanks for the test link and all the time you spent covering the results. I will download DK Lite and check out the link to the graphics driver update. Thanks for all your help. This is a great site with good people and I'm sure I'll be back. Maybe next time I can help someone else out.
Hi, Mystic Eyes
As I said above, you might have hit the nail on the head... trashed! I'm not ready to give up yet, 'cause the restore points are still showing they're active. I will research this 'Software Distribution Service'. My logs show internet activity while I was in bed, but my brother swears he didn't dowload or upgrade anything. (He's lied to me before and gotten caught). Anyway, thank you for the help you provided and maybe we'll talk (type) again soon.
P.S. I'd still like to find out why this is happening, so I'll leave this post 'unsolved' for a week or so. OKBye!

Sounds like a good plan to me Rygl55.:D

Let us know how you get along please.

Regards,

Hawk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online