1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lots of computer problems, cannot find cause

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PIGONSTEROIDZ, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PIGONSTEROIDZ

PIGONSTEROIDZ Thread Starter

So i saved up lots of money got a gaming PC, the idea was awesome for me the reality was not.

I originally got a PC with a geforce 560ti and a amad athlon x4 or something. Right away i had problems, the RAM was faulty so i had all sorts of problems with things like installing games ect../then a fan went strange and started making a horrendous rattling sound. Once that was fixed, the computer got very hot so for Christmas i got a new case along with a better processor: the AMD phenom II x6.
    More problems, horrible whining. Apparently could have been the hard drive, got a SSD. Still whining, By now i had had enough, took it to a pc repair shop, whole thing shut down apparently. Bought a new motherboard.
    Problems over, right?

Nope, still more. Noises stopped but now, it has fps stutter problems on all games including easy going games such as resident evil 5. When i play sleeping dogs near top settings the whole thing freezes and i have to restart, my computers more than capable? also strange noises again nothing as bad as the whining but still... slightly annoying.
    I have tried changing the graphic drivers and has been cleaned recently, im pretty sure installed all the discs that came with the components.Also a lot of the games run on an external hard drive running on a usb 2.0 which is meant for 3.0 i think.

My system spec:
    Time of this report: 2/7/2013, 19:37:07
    Machine name: MATT-PC
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Page File: 3493MB used, 4694MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1200&SUBSYS_080110B0&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 2770 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 978 MB
    Shared Memory: 1791 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: PLX2472HD
    Monitor Id: IVM6106
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
    Description: PLX2472HD-1 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes
    Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_10DE0101&REV_1001
    Manufacturer ID: 1
    Product ID: 100
    Type: WDM
    Driver Name: nvhda64v.sys

Please can anybody help, i have had enough of this thing inc games i have spent over £2000 on this thing. Any help is appreciated :/

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

What PSU do you have?

What motherboard?

What Case, and what fans?

3. PIGONSTEROIDZ

Coolermaster HAF 912 Plus Case

Power supply: cosair cx 500

Fans: one is the stock fan at the back and the front one is from my old case and is lit up. my cooler is Arctic cooling freezer13

My motherboard is as rock or soemthing im not really sure how to check, sorry

4. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  5. PIGONSTEROIDZ

no i have nothing :( but do you think thats what could be causing the dodgy fps and game crashes?

6. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Very possible. By having the 500W PSU is't like running your car engine full speed all the time, it's going to break sooner than later. Hopefully one of the Tech's can better answer this for you; but I would think this could be your bottleneck. The PSU is the most important part of the computer. This is not the unit to go cheap on. I hope Dai chimes in here as he is very knowledgeable about the PSU.

7. PIGONSTEROIDZ

alright it would be nice to finally get this thing working :) when games crash they usually freeze and makes a horrible sound as in the screen not the pc and i have to shut it down. As you know im new so if it seems as if this is the problem then ill get a new one, but seriously though thanks for the help i tried another site and didn't get a single response i really appreciate it

8. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Your more than welcome, and I will try to steer a Tech here to chime in.

9. dai

dai

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree the build series is not the greatest quality and we do not recommend them. They are ok for a basic office build however they are NOT up to a gaming build.

Next you need to post the exact mb you have installed and what bios version you are running; ie gigabyte xxx123 with bios F12 or whatever.

While you are attempting to troubleshoot the system, I would test with prime95. Have your monitoring software running while you run prime95. Post your cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values here for review.

11. PIGONSTEROIDZ

Guys i appreciate the help, but i have no idea how to do half this stuff? When i took it to a pc repair shop they tested it right away with prime 95, it shut down and would not start back up. They tried replacing every component apart from the morhterboard and coult not get it to work, they ordered a new motherboard and it still did not work, new processor still no luck. They ordered a different, better motherboard this time it worked but there new processor wouldn't not work with this one i have in now. it would make sense the psu being crappy as i bought a very basic pc with an alright graphics card but a lot has been upgraded. Thanks again.

12. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

The PSU does sound like a good culprit, but there is only one way to know 100% sure, swapping it and seeing if that fixes it.

You might be able to get a decent idea with a multimeter too.

Also, if your shop had that much trouble with it, I would be worried about going back.

13. PIGONSTEROIDZ

multimeter? and so you think they were not legit :S ?

14. ChumCaster

ChumCaster Banned

I assume you have a warranty? Does your state have a Lemon Law? Sounds like you've spent way too much money fixing a shoddy product and should explore some legal (rather than technical) options.

15. dai

dai

a multimeter will give you proof that the psu voltage is working as it is supposed to with no problems

but the voltage has little to do with it

the unit does not output enough usable amps on the 12v line for the system so it is overloading the psu

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088851

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice