1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lots of disc activity???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by theMusicMan, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theMusicMan

theMusicMan Thread Starter

Why, when my XP machine is running but 'logged off' or in screensaver mode, is there lots of incessant disc activity.

The drive is continually on the go! Even when the screensaver has not been activated, but I have not moved the mouse or touched the keyboard for several minutes, say browsing a www page here for example, the drive will be whirring around as though there is no tomorrow!!

What's happening?

John

2. Dan O

Dan O

It shouldn't. My XP is quit as a baby with a full bottle.

When it occurs depress Alt+Ctrl+Del and check the running Applications and Processes and the Performance tab to see what going on. If you need help go to the System Tools menu and select System Information and get the same information which you can copy and paste here and we will try to help. Also post Startup items. It may be a virus or virus protection which make hay when the PC is not in use.

3. theMusicMan

Thankx for the info Dan. Next time I notice it I'll do as you suggest and post another reply here. Hope you will still help then!

J

4. Dan O

Dan O

If I am not around there are many others here who can help. We have a great goup of users and moderators who are very knowledgable and helpful.

5. theMusicMan

Ok guys - it's happening now - if there is anyone out there - what is it that I should post and wher do I get it?

John

6. kknla

kknla

please read up and check Dan O's first response, the directions are written there.

7. theMusicMan

Thanks - I have the system info and ctrl-alt-del task manager both open. What is is from these that I need to cut and paste?

J

8. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Findfast that is installed with Microsoft Office causes disk thrashing. This is one of the bigger culprits. Check to see if it is running.

Also, I would disable the Indexing Service. I also have not noticed a big improvment with it running, but I did notice my PC seemed more responsive without it running. You can disable it through the services part of computer management.

http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/tune-18.html

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You can't cut and paste from there...you're going to have to use the old fashioned way of 'typing.' :)

10. Dan O

Dan O

If you use System Information as I suggested you can copy and paste it. Read my first response for the details.

11. pgscott

pgscott

Have you checked to see if you have spyware that has crept onto your machine? on multiple pcs, I have seen performance take real hits and machine slow down due to spyware "parasites" constantly contacting their home webs to tattle on your machine, browsing habits, etc.... Can have symptoms of constant disk activity if enough of them overload your system and cause disk swap.

To scan for spyware (and learn more about), one package is Lavasofts' Adaware. (www.lavasoftusa.com). It's free, and helped with many of my customers who'd gotten Gator, Comet cursor, Bonzi buddy, onflow, etc etc.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice