1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lots of issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by begud4me, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. begud4me

begud4me Thread Starter

ok first off i have two pcs both are running win2 pro. the are networked together via hub.

PC #1 has been freezing so i restarted it. Now when it gets to the login screen it freezes and wont let me type in the password to get to the actual op sys of the comp. It actually freezes at that screen.

PC #2 everything is fine but now when i click on an item, lets say my computer it acts like i right clicked it and gives me the option like explore open etc. I went and checked the mouse setting in the control panel and everything seems to me standard.

any ideas?

2. begud4me

begud4me Thread Starter

ok well i also wanted to say that i am running a KVM swith for the two machines. I let the one load that was feezing and it let me type in the password and get into the os but the in the moddel of typing anothe message it froze again.

3. begud4me

begud4me Thread Starter

still nothing?

4. begud4me

begud4me Thread Starter

now i can get into the op sys but it freezes when i try and start doing anything.

5. steve65

steve65

Eliminate your KVM switch. I know that seems obvious, but I have had hardware problems with KVM switches before. For example, I have a Belkin KVM switch that goes bonkers whenever I switch to one of my IBM servers. I just leave it alone fo 15 - 20 seconds and things settle back down. Some systems are also very sensative to detecting the keyboard on bootup. If it does not detect the keyboard, it will ignore it altogether. As in your system that will not accept keyboard input at the login screen.

Steve

6. begud4me

begud4me Thread Starter

Well i guess it could be the KVM switch but sometimes comp #1 will let me get into the OS and start doing stuff normally then it just freezes not just the mouse movement and keyboard functionality but the whole comp. not even crtl alt del does anything i have to power down manually. Plus i need the KVM so i can access and run off both machines. None of this stuff started till i moved the machines around and now comp #1 is just going bonkers. I have done a disk check and defraged on it only after multiple manual power downs. i have been able to run adaware again only after multiple power downs. If you guys like i will try and get a HJT log file up on here after work. But i would still love to hear any suggestions, i really cant afford to F Disk the drives so any ideas will help.

7. begud4me

begud4me Thread Starter

no one has any other ideas?

8. steve65

steve65

I am not suggesting that you eliminate the KVM switch forever, just long enough to eliminate it as the source of the problem. Otherwise, try to isolate what happened just before things started to go bad. You mentioned that you moved the computer. Open the case and reseat the memory and any PCI cards to make sure that they are not loose. Make sure your CDROM and HDD cables are seated properly, both on the Mboard and the drives themselves. Boot into "Safe Mode" and go through your Add/Remove programs and see if there are items that you do not recognize. Remove any spyware/adware programs like bozi buddy or weatherbug.

Finally go to http://www.blackviper.com. Find the Windows XP services section which lists the services/processes XP needs to have running. Open the Task Manager by pressing ctl alt del and choosing task manager. Carefully look through the processes that are running in comparison to the BlackViper website. Investigate any suspicious looking ones - see what kinds of processor demands they are placing on your CPU. He has a good tutorial on how to shut unneccesary processes down.

Steve

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice