1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lots of issues

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rayzin, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rayzin

rayzin Thread Starter

I am working on a Dell Dimension, Win 98se, Pent. 111, 128 Megs of RAM.
    First issue was conflict with NAV Corp. 7 and Anti Vir caused windows to not shut down (rntsv5? not responding). Removed Anti Vir and then got blue screens- VXD IOS(4) and VXD VMM.
    Now, no more blue screens but machine locks up after windows comes back up after restart. I am running NAV scan to see if it is a virus.
    Any other suggestions? Does this sound like a virus?
    Ray
    P.S. someone just told me that Anit Vir found Badtrans (she thinks).

2. rayzin

rayzin Thread Starter

NAV found no viruses. Did a reboot to see what would happen: blue screen- Fatal exception error...0028:c02bf613 in VXD IOS(04) + 000005b7.
    Help please!
    Ray

3. esdxc37

esdxc37

use your win startup disk and pick start disk with cdrom support
    at the c:> propmt you have 2 options
    1 a clean install of windows
    2 reinstall windows

1for a clean install type smartdrv
    2answer yes to all questions
    3type in the letter of your cdrom default is d but watch while machine is starting and it will tell you the letter
    4 type setup and let windows install

use 3 and 4 for to reinstall

this should rid you of errors accumulated in windows

before I used xp i used to do a clean install once a month just to free the os from the clutter windows collects

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

5. bestshotdude

bestshotdude

I have run into similar problems after running Windows for a long period of time. I was always downloading some new software to try out and after removing it there was always trash left behind on the system. After a point they start to cause conflicts and make your system act strangely. I agree about a complete restore about once a month. Windows allows so much clutter to gather that it may be a big hassle but also you will see a vast improvement. If you have a CD-R it makes the restore a snap.

6. rayzin

rayzin Thread Starter

Thanks the help folks. I have recently discovered Microsoft's Backup utility so as we speak backup is running. There are some other issues I have come across after reinstalling Win se updates. I figure it is time just to start from scratch.
    Glad you all are out there. I will let you know how it goes.
    Ray

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice