1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lotus 123

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by texacogirl1, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. texacogirl1

texacogirl1 Thread Starter

I am currently using Lotus123 wk1 for my business. I have windows xp. I want to start using my new HP computer that has windows 8. Is there a converter for my lotus123 program?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    libraoffice and openoffice - both free office suites - I can see listed in libraoffice wk1 to open wk1 files
    they also work on XP - so you could install on your current PC and try them out

libraoffice
    http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

open office
    http://www.openoffice.org/download/

if you have a file you can load here - that only has dummy data - remember this is a public forum
    i can open in both and then see how they look and save back again as WK1 files and post back here - so you can see if anything gets changed due to compatibility issues

3. texacogirl1

I am computer dumb. sorry. I have no idea what to do?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    attach a sample spreadsheet here , and I can see if libraoffice will open and save

To upload the spreadsheet to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

5. texacogirl1

I cant seem to figure it out?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    figure what out exactly - how to download and install the programs on XP
    upload a dummy spreadsheet here

looks like the excel starter you get with windows 8 (only on some PC manufacturers ) does not support wk1 files

you can always email me the file
    if you click on my name you will see an email option

I dont think as a new user you can use PMs yet - but sent a pm with my email anyway

dont put email into the forum

we do not allow offline support here - so once you send the file, i will edit your post and put the file on the forum so everyone can see and help

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have removed the post - as you have pasted into the reply and not attached a file

i dont think the forum will support attaching wk1 files - so they need to be zipped up

I can imagine this is quite frustrating for you

you have my email address - do you want to send me the file via email as an attachment

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the file you sent was sent over as an xlr file and not a wk1 file.

xlr is a works file - versions 6-9 of Microsoft Works
    http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/xlr

are you saving from lotus 123 into a works format - if so , then you effectively have your converter

this file will also open in both open office and libra office and also opens in excel starter version 2010

i have not attached the spreadsheet here as it appears to show trade prices and profits - so you would not want that on a public forum

i will also move to business applications forum

remember in windows 8 - you may not get a spreadsheet application - as i say some PCs also include microsoft starter excel and word - but as far as I know its not part of windows 8 - so will depend on what PC you buy , and so you may need to a spreadsheet application

hence the suggestion to try openoffice or libraoffice on your XP PC and see how it works with your spreadsheet files

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!