1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

loud beep while booting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hellllp, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hellllp

hellllp Thread Starter

HELP!

my laptop makes a loud continuous beep while booting. It does not occur every time i start the pc, but it happens most of the time. though it functions properly after it starts, the start-up can be quite irritating.
    i checked pretty closely for any stuck keys.. cudn't find any. i'm wondering if it's heating up that causes it to shout out loud or some other problem hidden inside the case..(i guess thoshiba laptops heat up more than the others-from what i have noticed, but then i'm no expert.. :eek:) before i get him to a repair center, just wanted to find out if there's anything I can do to stop it..

Also, i am due replacing the battery.. the laptop functions only when it is plugged to power. dunno if that makes any difference bbut just wanted to make a mention..

it's a thoshiba pc with 3gb ram and intel pentium dual cpu t3400 @ 2.16ghz.. whatever that means :confused:

thx!

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Try starting it up with the battery pack removed and the power supply connected.

Tell me if you still get the continuous beep.

Also, tap F12 at startup and see what version of Bios you have. If F12 does not get you into the Bios you may have to check in your user manual.

3. hellllp

hellllp Thread Starter

you are a star! no beeps after i removed the battery pack.. (y)
    BIOS version is 1.7. so i guess it's the battery then?? if yes i ll rest this case..
    thank you!!

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

It certainly does sound like the battery pack is defective and is the cause of the problem. You will not know for certain until fitting a replacement.

5. hellllp

hellllp Thread Starter

marky mark,
    the beeps are back! :( now the pattern is continuous short beeps. i have not replaced the battery yet but for the past 3 days, i have been using the pc without jumpin during start-up. i guess i'll wait for the replacement battery to come and then check if the problem persists.. let me know if you want me to check anythin in the meantime..thanks so much for your help!

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

Can you let me know the full name of the Bios.

7. hellllp

hellllp Thread Starter

BIOS Version/Date INSYDE 1.70, 11/24/2008
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    is that what you looking for?

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

Does that Bios version also have a name? Phoenix perhaps?

Have a good listen to the Beeps, they usually form a pattern of short and long beeps.

See if it matches anything in this link: Phoenix beep codes

9. hellllp

hellllp Thread Starter

i can't see the name 'phoenix' anywhere. the bios name i find is 'insyde'. anyway, i was snooping aroun the internet for any bios related error codes and found this:

POST Beeping Error General Codes

* Bad Motherboard - 1 long and 1 short beep
    * Disk drive related problem / Video card problem - 1 short beep then nothing happens
    * Bad video card - 1 long and 2 short beeps
    * Bad power supply - 1) continuous beeps, 2) non-stop short beeps
    * Bad memory - 3 short beeps

my problem seems to be inclined towards the power supply.. let me try getting the battery fixed and then we'll see if the problem persists..i'll let you know what happens.. thx so much for your help. i might be back to bother you again. :eek:

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

It's no bother at all and that's good research.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1046928

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice