1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Loud cpu fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cpupalma, Jan 8, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Cpupalma

Cpupalma Thread Starter

My cpu’s fan is very loud and my computer will only get power through the power button on the back of my computer

2. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Does it run OK even though it is loud and you are using the power switch on the power supply?

3. Cpupalma

Cpupalma Thread Starter

No I can’t turn the computer on through the front power button but power still goes through a button on the back of my power supply that will stop giving power if you let go

4. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

That button is a test button and generally does not really turn the PC on. It also means that the PC is not even trying to initialize so the CPU fan runs at full speed.
    The first real test is to try a different power supply. Can you do that?
    P.S. What is the make and full model number of the PC?

5. Cpupalma

Cpupalma Thread Starter

I have tried different power supplys but it has the same reaction and I’m not sure how to find the model number if you could tell me how I would greatly appreciate that

6. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

If it is a major player (HP, Dell, etc.), it's on the same sticker as the serial number which is now sometimes on the bottom of the tower. If it is assembled from parts, the key part number would be printed on the system board ( i.e. MS-7778 Rev 1.0 ) in fairly large print.
    Regardless, with two different power supplies tried, you have an overloaded USB, a memory failure, a CPU failure, or a failed system board. Unplug everything USB with the PC unplugged from the wall outlet (or power strip), push and hold the power button on the front for 10 seconds, plug the power back in, and try it using the front button. If it still won't turn on, do the same; but, remove all but one of the memory modules and try again.

7. Cpupalma

Cpupalma Thread Starter

My computer model is MIH81R Great Bear
    , and I tried what you said above and still no response from my device.(this is what I think you wanted me to look for)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  8. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

That part number is for the system board (motherboard) for a Dell computer; but, it can be several different models.
    On the top, side, or bottom of the outside should be a sticker with SERVICE TAG printed on it. What is the SERVICE TAG number?
    P.S. The first number you posted ( B-300NM-01 ) is a Dell power supply.

9. Cpupalma

Cpupalma Thread Starter

8278T52 is the code

10. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

You have an Inspiron 3847 and here is your support page:
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/8278t52/diagnose
    If you have actually tried two power supplies, unplugging the USB devices, and removing one of the memory modules, it's the system board that is bad. Luckily, you have a socketed (LGA1150) CPU chip and the board itself isn't too expensive. However; what we really need is the Dell Part number of that board. On a fairly small, square white sticker, should be an entry saying D P/N and a common one for that PC is 088DT1.
    Are you up to replacing the system board? You will need some thermal compound for the CPU chip and a number 2 Philips screwdriver.

11. Cpupalma

Cpupalma Thread Starter

Hello DavisMcCarn thank you for finding out what was wrong but I have bought a new computer after I found out that my graphics card cpu and power supply have all broken. I do not know how but it happened after I attempted to replace my graphics card with a high-end one that my power supply did not have the correct pin connectors for it

12. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

No, your Dell would not have handled a graphics card that needed more power; but, I seriously doubt that all those parts got blown. I believe you had a fried system board in the Dell and a replacement would have been about $70.00.
    As a note, I have only seen two confirmed dead Intel CPU's in 42 years of fixing these things. The onboard video chip is part of the CPU.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice