1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Loud laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by loudlaptop, Oct 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loudlaptop

loudlaptop Thread Starter

So I turned on my laptop, logged in with my password and the second after that it started to made really loud noises and probably woke up everyone in the house... It kinda sounded like a lawnmower, or a car engine. Don't know an exact example of the sound but it sounded horrible and I knew something was wrong. My laptop made noises in the past, usually it would be randomly detecting a CD when nothing was put in, and sometimes that triggered the CD port to open. This time, however, the weird sound was constant and didn't get quieter over time. I waited for a bit to see if it would stop, but after 5 minutes decided to turn it off because it just wouldn't. I feared it would explode! Luckily, the noise stopped when it was completely turned off. After a bit, I turned it on again, to see if the same thing occurs twice, but no, it didn't. As always, the only thing I could hear was a pretty loud fan.

I have no idea nor any specific computer knowledge of what could be wrong with my laptop at this point. =(
    The computer is 3,5 years old. Were problems like this supposed to happen eventually? Should I just buy a new one, or at least think about it?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4030U CPU @ 1.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 69 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3979 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 186 GB (49 GB Free); D: 263 GB (205 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., X555LA
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

It's difficult to diagnose this with any precision, but it's possible the bearings on the fan are going out and causing this noise. Before going to the expense of buying a brand-new laptop, I'd recommend checking to see if there are any computer repair shops nearby and then have them look at it for you. A replacement fan, even with labour costs, will still be cheaper than a new laptop.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice