Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

loud noise coming from PC

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  brite750 
#1 ·
I was using my PC and all of the sudden it started making a loud almost rattling sound. I shut it off, waited a little and restarted it. It went away for a few minutes and then came back. I opened up the case to see if I could find where the noise was coming from and it seemed to be coming from one of the fans. I unplugged the power to that fan and now it is quiet again.

Do fans go bad? Is there a fix for this or do I just need to get a new fan?

#2 ·
Which fan did you unplug? Sounds a bit daring. If it is the CPU fan you are in imminent danger of overheating your CPU. Plug the fan back in and put up with the noise and, if you are sure that is the problem, buy another as soon as possible. Have a look at the old fan first and see if you can brush any debris out of the blades (they are delicate) with a clean small paintbrush.

#3 ·
fan blades often get built-up with gunk, pet hair, dust, smoke, etc. when this happens they get out of balance, there is more load put on the bearings than they are designed for, they wear out faster and can make noise. if just blowing or brushing them off doesnt work, clean them with q-tips and 90% alcohol, this is especially true if you smoke.

#4 ·
to tell what fan it is, you can turn pc off, hold the fan blade of the suspected fan still with you finger or pen (NOT WHILE ITS TURNING) and turn power on breifly to see if sound is gone. DO NOT PUT YOU FINGER OR ANY OBJECT INTO A SPINNING FAN

#8 ·
Rich-M said:
Remember before you get really involved in this effort...case fans are a $3.99 item, don't spend too much time other than making sure no wire is hitting it and a cursory cleaning as time is money!
wow, Rich you must buy in bulk, try more like $15 for an 120mm, $10-$12 for a 80mm, of course I like to buy decent ball bearing fans, Sunon, Antec, Panaflo, TT, etc. they last years if you keep them clean.

#10 ·
#11 ·
#12 ·
#13 ·
#14 ·
Rich-M said:
The first one I see all the time for $3.99 on ebay, where I buy most of mine and I have seent he second one for $12.99 but cannot remember where.
yeah i have to start buying them online instead of waiting for an emergency, My wife is a buyer for an Electronics wholesaler, but I would have to buy like a 100 at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.