1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Loud Noise coming from the case

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cap2587, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimensions desktop that I am fixing for a friend. Once the computer has been on for a few minutes it starts to make a loud noise like the computer is an aeroplane taking off. It seems like it maybe coming from the power supply fan, but I am not sure. I might try and put another power supply in the machine to see if it still does it. Any other ideas as to what it could be. Thanks.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    is it a fan or a siren coming from speaker - as that would indicate a over heating issue

what happens to the PC, does it run while the noise is coming from the PC?

3. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

Etaf,

The PC seems to run okay despite the noise. It sounds like it is coming from the Power Supply Fan and is just a louder than usual sound. Should I put speed fan on the system and see what Temp it is running at? Appreciate your help. Craig

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    If the PC is running well, then your probably right - the fan is dry and now making a noise

5. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

What do you mean by the fan is dry? The PC was probably sitting for years and years without being used. I may put another power supply in it to see if this would eliminate the problem. Thanks

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  7. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If you aren't sure it is the power supply fan, try to stop or slow it down. You may need pencil or something small to press on the fan hub close to the center (don't put anything i the fan blades though). If the sound stops or changes then it's the PSU fan.

If that isn't it try the CPU, GPU and case fans one at a time.

8. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

Your saying you think it maybe the computer fan and not the Power Supply Fan. Can I remove the computer fan and try another one. Where would I buy a new computer fan from and are they standard through all computers. Thanks.

9. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

Frank4d,

Thanks for your input. I am not really sure on how you want me to slow down the fan. Is the fan hub the plate in the middle of the Fan on the back of PSU? I will give it a try.

10. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Yes, the spinning round part close to the middle, not the actual fan blades.

11. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

I used the PC for 3 hrs last night and didn't hear the loud noise. I will keep you posted on the problem. Thanks

12. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

I followed your advice and placed a pencil on the middle of the back of the PSU. This did alter the sound of the noise coming out of the PSU. It muffles the sound and told me clearly that the noise is coming from the PSU. I am looking for a cheap PSU for around $30 that would meet the requirements of my Dell Dimensions 8400. Any Ideas. Thanks. Craig

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/877200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice