Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loud Noise coming from the case

1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  cap2587 
#1 ·
I have a Dell Dimensions desktop that I am fixing for a friend. Once the computer has been on for a few minutes it starts to make a loud noise like the computer is an aeroplane taking off. It seems like it maybe coming from the power supply fan, but I am not sure. I might try and put another power supply in the machine to see if it still does it. Any other ideas as to what it could be. Thanks.

#2 ·
Once the computer has been on for a few minutes it starts to make a loud noise like the computer is an aeroplane taking off.
is it a fan or a siren coming from speaker - as that would indicate a over heating issue

what happens to the PC, does it run while the noise is coming from the PC?

#3 ·
Etaf,

The PC seems to run okay despite the noise. It sounds like it is coming from the Power Supply Fan and is just a louder than usual sound. Should I put speed fan on the system and see what Temp it is running at? Appreciate your help. Craig

#7 ·
If you aren't sure it is the power supply fan, try to stop or slow it down. You may need pencil or something small to press on the fan hub close to the center (don't put anything i the fan blades though). If the sound stops or changes then it's the PSU fan.

If that isn't it try the CPU, GPU and case fans one at a time.

#12 ·
I followed your advice and placed a pencil on the middle of the back of the PSU. This did alter the sound of the noise coming out of the PSU. It muffles the sound and told me clearly that the noise is coming from the PSU. I am looking for a cheap PSU for around $30 that would meet the requirements of my Dell Dimensions 8400. Any Ideas. Thanks. Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.