Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loud noise from fan

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Jon Snow 
#1 ·
I recently started getting hearing a loud "buzzing" noise when I started my computer or it had to load certain larger programs. I opened up the computer to find which fan the noise was coming from and found no noise. The noise had stopped until just yesterday. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions.

#2 ·
Make sure theres nothing rubbing on any of the fans. One of the fans may also be wearing out of getting dirty. You could get yourself a can of Compressed Air and blow out dust from the case and fans. If that doesn't do it then you'll need to replace the fan thats noisy.

Whne the noise happens just pop off the side off the case and find teh responsible fan, or if it happens frequently leave the side off the computer.

#6 ·
First make a complete backup of the hard drive, and then download the hard drive diagnostic software from the manufacturer web sight. If any problems are found and the drive is still under warranty you can ghost the back up to the replacement drive.

#8 ·
Even if the diag says "drive is good" (which it shouldn't) I would not trust the drive... period.

Backup your DATA today that's IMPORTANT to you. Your drive could die in 5 weeks or 5 minutes.

#10 ·
Compaq and most companies do not have such diags available for their end users. if computer is over a year old, its warranty has expired. So diags is kinda useless... drop $100 for a new 80GB drive and xfer your data over.

Go to www.aida32.hu, get the free enterprise version - it will tell your HD brand and link to the site....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.