1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Loud screeching noise, then crash, Toshiba laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by garyginge, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. garyginge

garyginge Thread Starter

hi. i have a Toshiba Satellite A300D-15B, and it has just starting occassionally making a loud screeching noise, coming from almost the bottom, almost in the middle (not the side where the fan is). When this happens, the laptop then starts to struggle a bit, and sometimes freezes, sometimes leading to a crash.

is this a hard drive issue? what course of action may i need to take in order to correct this problem?

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Gary

2. TekTime

TekTime

Sounds like the cooling fan is going bad. On that laptop, the cooling fan is located near the middle,
    on the bottom. The freezing would indicate overheating. Do you have software that monitors the temperature of your CPU etc? If not, try Speedfan; here's the link: (monitors CPU temps, hard drive temps and status, motherboard temps etc)

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Keep in mind that speedfan is not the most user friendly program out there, but as long as your motherboard is supported, it will show accurate temperatures. If you can, post the temps of your laptop immediately after booting into Windows (or BIOS if you have temp readings) AND post the temps of your laptop after being on for awhile. That will help determine if overheating is causing problems.

3. garyginge

garyginge Thread Starter

ok, thanks, gonna try run that now, will post the results. the screeching noise is intermittent, and when it is worst it is followed by the computer struggling, but my hard drive is also making a kinda crackling noise (fairly quiet, but not normal,which is what i think the screeching is when it gets more severe), which wasnt there before. anyway, will try run the temp thing, but i have a horrible feeling it is my hard drive.

4. garyginge

garyginge Thread Starter

ran the speedfan programme, and its giving me core readings going from 53C at rest and peaking at 64C while its working a little harder. the noise hasnt only been happening when it has been hot, its happened occassionally when its been running a very small load and has been cool as well.

5. TekTime

TekTime

Ok, to test your hard drive, Hitachi makes a utility that should work, you can download it here:

http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/#DFT (Drive Fitness Test)

Hopefully you have backed up your data in case the problem is drive related!

6. garyginge

garyginge Thread Starter

thanks for that link, but not sure how to get that working? im not a complete novice with the tech stuff but im far from advanced, haha. do i have to create a disc in order to run that check?

7. garyginge

garyginge Thread Starter

found another hard drive tester, SeaTools, is this suitable?

8. TekTime

TekTime

Yes, SeaTools is good as well. It supports Seagate and Maxtor hard drives.
    SeaTools works within Windows, while Drive Fitness...will need to be burned to a disc and run at boot-up.

For drive Fitness, you would click on "CD Image" (as shown below), and then the download/save prompt will pop-up allowing you to save to your hard-drive. Then, burn to disc and boot your computer (you may need to change booting options in BIOS)

--------------------------------

• CD image (2,720 K)
      Creates bootable CD for Linux, Windows and other operating systems ( requires CD-RW drive and software)
    --------------------------------

9. garyginge

garyginge Thread Starter

ok, ran some of the tests with seagate, not sure what each means though. the S.M.A.R.T passed, as did the short DST test, long DST was taking an absolute age, didnt seem to be making progress, then ran a short generic test, and it came up with a fail. any idea what this means?

10. garyginge

garyginge Thread Starter

right now im guessing i am going to have to buy a new internal hard drive. are they fairly easy to install? what kind of combatibilities should i be looking for, and what brands are typically good, i have seen some decent priced seagate, or should i stick to a toshiba one?

thanks

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/927955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice