1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lovely green pinstipping

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by finigan, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. finigan

finigan Thread Starter

I have a gateway profile 4, I run duel monit. all has been fine till suddenly it locks up and nothing will respond, not even ctl + alt delete. I power down and try to restart and a black screen with green lines comes up, then I get white pin dot's all over and it tells me windows failed to load etc... choose a start up...normal, safe, last know good config. etc..
    I have tried both normal and last known and screen goes black and I will get some red lines and its trying to do something but eventually comes back to black with pin dots and failed to load. I tried reinstalling windows and still had this problem, I actually had to attempt to reinstall xp several times before it worked. I then was told that my hard drive was possibley going bad (magic 5yrs I suppose) so I installed a new one, went thru reinstalling xp and all seemed to be good, so did all the updates and it lasted 8 hrs before it went back to same problem. It will not load windows. Not sure where to turn at this point, is it a problem with video grafics? My PCI? Not a computer techy by far so I am just guessing at this point. Everyone here has always been of great help and am very thankfull to have this as an avenue of support.

2. Billy the Adult

Billy the Adult

From your description it does sound like your video card is on it's way out. Do you have on board graphics? Do you have access to another card you can try?

3. finigan

finigan Thread Starter

not sure what on board graphics are, and no I dont have another card to try but could get one. An update of where things are tho... computer was down all evening and all morning, suddenly it is back on and working normal, I try to run some diagnostic test on it while things are moving well and boom it locks up. Have to power down and retry but not working again.

4. bubblz

bubblz Account Closed

Just a thought here, but you might try reseating your graphics card. This, of course assumes that it is an add-on card. Since you have already replaced your hard drive, you're obviously okay with opening the case up. I'd check to make sure it's seated properly. As Billy the Adult suggested however, it sounds like your video card may well be on it's way out. But, I always like to try pulling the card and reseating just to be sure first.

5. finigan

finigan Thread Starter

4:00 pm update and now am up and running again. Once again all seems to be fine, for how long is the question. Do not even know where to start looking at this point. I ran Kaspersky full scan and reports no threats found.

6. bubblz

bubblz Account Closed

Have you tried running a hardware diagnostic while you're up and running?

7. finigan

finigan Thread Starter

I have run PC-Doctor for windows, and have ran the following test.. PCI Bus (Motherboard device) RTC (mother/device) CMOS (mother/device) CPU, Hard Drive test, Video Device test, all three (Nvidia, AVI, PF41700) all came back with a pass, if there is a different way to run diagnostic's on these please advise cause I dont know how. As to reseating my card I will try that also.

Update again tho... worked off and on Sat. night till it locked up, I could hear my sons game playing in backround with my normal black screen when computer is in active for a time, but when u move the mouse it usually comes back to life, but nothing happens...manually shut down computer and turn back on and am up and running again till it decides its had enough. thanks again.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It might be a heat issue and you should ensure the inside of the case is dust free and the fans are working.

If it's not heat and you have reloaded your display drivers and reseated the card -- then the actual card is probably bad.

9. bubblz

bubblz Account Closed

Have you checked out the heat/dust issue as Rollin' Rog suggested? Also, something else you may want to do is have a fan blowing on it. If it is a heat issue, this sometimes helps. You can run the system with the cover off in most all cases. Do you have a utility that tells you your CPU temp?

10. finigan

finigan Thread Starter

As for dust.... cleaned it out real well when changed out hard drive
    As for heat.... old hard drive was very warm when I changed it out.
    CPU temp.... I dont have a program that reads temp will look into that.

So far so good, I have not had an incident as of last up date but had puter off for 24 hrs and am back on and awaiting next issue lol Thank You.

11. bubblz

bubblz Account Closed

have you checked your BIOS to verify that it doesn't have a monitor for your CPU temp? Some BIOS mfg have that built in. If not, here's a good burn-in utility. It wll definitely give your system a good test: http://www.7byte.com/ . Here's a CPU temp monitor: http://www.hmonitor.com/. It gives voltages, mainboard info, etc. It's a fantastic lil' program. :) I run the burn-in sometimes if I'm having an intermittent problem....after I'm sure my temps are okay. BTW - these are both freeware/shareware.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice