1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Low benchmark scores on CPU & HDD - Is my HDD poo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by louisj23, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. louisj23

louisj23 Thread Starter

Hey all,
    Just built a new comp and I thought this thing would scream but I'm only getting a whimper

AMD FX-62 Dual Core CPU
    1.0 GB DDR2 PC3200 (I believe its 3200)
    ASUS M2A-VM-HDMI Motherboard
    Ultra X-Connect Titanium w/ UV Blue 500Watt ATX PSU
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB Hard Drive (Serial ATA II, 7,200 RPM, 8MB)
    Haven't done the video card yet
    This thing should move like lightning right?

Something about this thing is mega slow to load programs and such.
    I just used CrystalMark to get some Benchmark scores and my CPU ranked a bit lower than an AMD FX-60 (19442 vs. 25188) but my HDD was piss poor with a score of 4738 vs others out there ranking between 2 and 4 MILLION!!
    Now my HDD is in a constant churning state, ya know always sounds like its struggling and grinding away when running programs especially ones like adaware or spybot that scan, not super loud but it bugs me. Is this an indication that is a piece of junk?

Is there any other way to determine if its is my HDD that is the weakest link in my new computer besides getting another and popping it in and are there any other good benchmark programs out there that can confirm this for me. Also, why would my CPU be scoring lower than a lower model? Maybe its just that CrystalMark isn't reliable.
    Also, I'm running some EMSA Disk Check Program right now to try that out and see what happens

2. Compiler

Compiler

Sounds like a rather odd problem...

Could you benchmark the drive with something else... that shows transfer rate of data (R/W)

I am familer with that board - I use it for making basic systems. I may have one bad one myself. Anyways it should perform between the AMD x2 6000 & X2 6400 at default clock rate.

Try to reset BIOS...

A bad HD can seriously slow down your system, a keyboard can cause problems. When you do your benchmarks - is it on a clean system? Does task manager show that the CPU is busy? If the CPU is BUSY while benchmarking - your score will be low.

I've gotten pretty good performance with AMD x2 3800~4200s... But I've seen the new 770chipset fly a bit faster.

3. louisj23

louisj23 Thread Starter

I hope it's not the board but as I just did the benchmark again it pains me to hear the HDD grinding away. Here's a break down of the tests done by CrystalMark testing. I will also post the other tests such as the CPU and memory if you would like to see those also. The memory is scoring a bit low but I am only running 1GB yet the HDD is still way down there. Any other way to determine if its the HDD? I know the best option would be to swap it out.
    No nothing else is running and the only process is the system idle that is doing anything. This is not a clean system - meaning not a fresh install. Total install was a couple of months ago but every virus and spyware check imaginable has been done and it is free and clear. Not a lot of installed programs either...here's the report with the CPU in the ALU and FPU sections showing only a benchmark score:
    CrystalMark : 63907

[ ALU ] 20560
    Fibonacci : 8091
    Napierian : 2854
    Eratosthenes : 3254
    QuickSort : 6339
    [ FPU ] 21745
    MikoFPU : 2680
    RandMeanSS : 10822
    FFT : 4665
    Mandelbrot : 3556
    [ MEM ] 13698 total score
    Read : 4521.78 MB/s ( 4521)
    Write : 2663.99 MB/s ( 2663)
    Read/Write : 2551.90 MB/s ( 2551)
    Cache : 39415.93 MB/s ( 3941)
    [ HDD ] 7904 total score
    Read : 67.54 MB/s ( 2701)
    Write : 61.87 MB/s ( 2474)
    RandomRead512K : 27.15 MB/s ( 1086)
    RandomWrite512K : 26.10 MB/s ( 1044)
    RandomRead 64K : 5.33 MB/s ( 213)
    RandomWrite 64K : 9.65 MB/s ( 386)

4. Compiler

Compiler

Read / Write performance is on par with a Seagate SATA drive.

Your drive shouldn't be making ANY noise... get another.

5. louisj23

louisj23 Thread Starter

agree...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!