1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Low Disk Space Even After Deleting Data

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by girlruin, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. girlruin

girlruin Thread Starter

I am very confused. I am running Windows XP on my home PC. All of a sudden, even though I have not recently installed or downloaded anything, I had less than 200MB free on my C: drive (which is a 230GIG drive). I started getting the pop-up warning in the system tray, so I went to Properties and did the Disk Cleanup. There was nothing abnormally large in the Recycle, Compressed Files, etc. In fact, I was barely able to clean any space off this way because everything was already taking up next to no space.

After this, I moved over 20GIGS of data on to a completely separate external drive (not a partition of the C: drive). I looked at my C: disk space and it was still around 200-300MB. I noticed as a kept the C: drive Properties window up that the space kept fluctuating throughout the day, going from 200MB to 300MB to 500MB (that was the max I have seen it at), then back down to 300 range and then back down to below 200MB, then back to 300... all the while, I am not downloading or deleting anything. (In the time I have been writing this, it has gone from 218MB to 318MB to 253MB to 316MB. It even got down to 76MB.) This could be completely normal behaviour, but I thought I would mention it anyway.The Low Disk Space error keeps popping up and then disappearing, popping up and then disappearing as this data fluctuates.

I am running a full virus scan but nothing has come up so far and it is almost done. It runs in the background anyway, so a virus surely would have been detected. I have not executed anything odd lately aside from downloaded MP3s. I use Microsoft Security Essentials for XP for virus protection.

I also ran TreeSize and everything appears normal. There is no space gathered anywhere that is unfamiliar or strange. What makes me wonder if it's even displaying the right amount of space available is that my computer is running perfectly fine. I ran Check Disk but it failed (it could not proceed with Phase 2, no reason was provided for the error). After that, I proceeded to delete another 22GIGS of data from my Games directory. I have some heavy duty games like Gears of War which is 12GIGS and Criminal Origins which is 6GIGS, so I deleted a few of those larger ones that I don't play anymore.

In total, I have deleted over 50GIGS of data, either by moving the data to another drive or uninstalling programs... so the data is not going into my Recycle Bin. My Recycle Bin is empty.

Can anyone shed a little light on this issue? Nothing in Google or other tech forums has been this exact problem. I cannot figure out what is wrong and why the space is reading so low all of a sudden. It seemed to happen overnight, it wasn't progressive. I really, really, really do not want to reformat, so please -- any other suggestions are welcome.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. girlruin

girlruin Thread Starter

As stated, I ran TreeSize. After moving 50GIGS+ of data on to a separate drive (not in the Recycle Bin) or uninstalling games/programs, TreeSize is displaying that I have 253MB left, just like Windows is saying. It makes no sense. Right after deleting 50GIGS of data, no space has been freed up (or at least it is not displaying that I have freed up that space, number-wise). So the problem is not that I cannot see where my big files are but that deleting files is NOT freeing up disc space. The disc space, 200ish-MB, stays the same even if I move/delete multiple GIGS of data.

Windows\Installer is 4GIGS.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Where is the space being used?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026452

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice