1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

low disk space on D:

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rainforest123, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rainforest123

rainforest123 Thread Starter

CPQ SR1811NX
    XP Home SP3
    512 MB ram
    Sempron 3500+
    > 80 GB free of 110 GB NTFS on C:

D: is HP recovery partition;
    7.3 GB; 375 MB free

Norton Protected Recycle Bin is not installed.

I would like to stop the balloon pop up.

I have read Page 1 Introduction You've just reformatted your hard drive and ..."
    forums.techguy.org/attachments/95398d1167648456/tweaking-xp.txt
    Will this work for the D: drive?

If not, please make a suggestion.

I have explored the D: and found no files other than the recovery utility files.

Thanks for your help.

RF123

2. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

If the registry edit doesn't work you can remove the drive letter from the D drive which Windows shouldn't be able to see anyway. I've seen so many recovery partitions get infected with malware because Windows can see it.

Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Click Disk Magement on the left side>On the right right click the D drive>Select Change Drive Letters and Paths>Click Remove and OK.

This way windows won't see the partition and will quit bothering you with the low space. Note you may have to reassign a drive letter to use the recovery partition but in the past I haven't had an issue with it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!