1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Low Disk Space on (F:)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Salmeen, May 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Salmeen

Salmeen Thread Starter

I really hope I could get this resolved, heck I've signed up for this website just to post this.

I keep getting this pop-up notification that my Disk (F:) is low and that I need to free up space, but the Drive is empty, it has nothing on it. It shows me that there is 42 MB free out of 500 MB.

I have tried to disable the warnings through Regedit, but it still did not work.

I tried through disk management to right click and change paths/Remove, but the only option I had for Drive F was "Help"

Help me.

2. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    Try these powershell commands: (this will completely format and clean the disk...all data will be gone)
    1. Get-Disk

2. Get-Disk 0 | Clear-Disk -RemoveData (Disk 0 is an example, your letter might be different)

3. Initialize-Disk 0

4. New-Partition -DiskNumber 0 -UseMaximumSize | Format-Volume -FileSystem NTFS -NewFileSystemLabel Archive

5. Get-Partition -DiskNumber 0 | Set-Partition -NewDriveLetter Z (NewDriveLetter Z is a choice, you can choose any letter that is not being used)

3. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    Another thing you can do is type Resource monitor in the search box. Click on "disks" look for what is taking up the most data. You can stop this process or enter msconfig and perform a "clean boot" and gradually add back in processes until you find out which one is causing the high disk usage.

4. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    This is an issue with the latest update. To resolve do the following:

Click on Start menu
    Type command to start searching the menu
    Right click on Command Prompt from menu
    Select t.o Run As Administrator
    Once in Command Prompt Windows then type of copy and paste each of the commands followed by Enter.

Note: (The 'Volume and Disk Letter may be different on your system so make sure to select the correct ones. If any questions provide a screen shot after list volume)

diskpart
    list volume
    select volume 1
    remove letter="F"

5. 249141

Hello,
    I'm getting the same thing as Salmeen. I read the replays, and was all set to try what "dckeks said do try. However, when I got to the "list volume", and I saw that on the "disk Letter" that I am getting the "low disk space on", ( "E"), it has 450 MB of something. I don't want to remove this, until I know what is in it, to be the large. ( I'm going to try to paste that page) Is there any way to tell what I am going
    to "remove? Thank You, Wayne
    P.s. Where this is the SAME problem as Salmeen, with the same "low disk space" heading, should I have started a new thread??

low disk space2.png

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  6. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Please always start your own posts for help to get the best help and prevent confusion for the original poster.

All this command does is removes the drive letter which should have never been assigned to the WinRE partition. The partition is still there so this is completely safe. Just change

remove letter=F to the correct letter such as E in your case.

7. 249141

dckeks,
    Thank you for the help, and I am sorry about not posting right. I did go into the "help" page, to see how I should have done it the right way, but couldn't find any help. Now I know.
    Thanks again, Wayne

8. Salmeen

Salmeen Thread Starter

Did you manage to resolve the issue? I simply formatted windows and that solved it for me.

9. 249141

Hello Salmeen,
    I did what you said to do about an hour ago, and so far, NO messages! Thank you SOOOOOO much for the help. Having that message come "up" every five minutes was driving me NUTS!
    Thank You again, Wayne

10. Salmeen

Salmeen Thread Starter

Wonderful :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice