1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Low Disk Space-Removal of Programs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Siam, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Siam

Siam Thread Starter

Hello anyone,

I am in a pickle. I am financially strapped and unable to seek local assistance or purchase a new laptop at this time or for the next few months. I need someone's guidance through my problem, which is low disk space. Currently, I have 62MB free space. Everyday, Windows drive keeps getting lower. I have attempted to remove several unwanted programs, which won't remove. Last year, I removed PC Registry Cleaner, iolo Firewall and Anti-Virus, Pareto Logic-Drive Cure, Scrabble (have cd), and two Zone.com Deluxe Games. However, PC Registry Cleaner shows up under Programs and has an icon on the bottom tool bar. iolo Firewire shows up (empty) under Programs and iolo Anti-Virus shows up on Belarc Advisor as "Realtime File Scanning on". Even the Security Center reports multiple software. Avast! AntiVirus is the only program on and running. Pareto Logic keeps popping up then disappearing. When I click uninstall Scrabble, the finish message reports "maintenance" complete. And, both Zone.com Deluxe Games (Mah Jong and Word Mojo) report "could not open INSTALL.LOG file". I would like to remove some programs that came with the HP / XP laptop, but I do not know what can be safely remove or how to copy those programs onto a cd before removing. Or, should I seek assistance from a local computer shop?

Someone mentioned to me that I should purchase an external hard drive. I am still computer illiterate. What am I looking for? How much would that run? What brand is best? How soon should I get it? Can anyone help me?

2. valis

valis Moderator

what OS are you using? Clearing system restore and using ATF will clear a bit of space.

3. Siam

Siam Thread Starter

Windows XP.

4. valis

valis Moderator

right click on 'my computer' > restore tab > check the 'turn off restore points' box > apply > okay. Once that's done just tick the box again to turn it on.

also run ATF and then let me know how much free space you have.

thanks ,

v

5. Siam

Siam Thread Starter

Sorry that I couldn't write back sooner. After I downloard and ran ATF, which found 385 error but could only fix 17 because I have no funds until Friday (I hope), I became disconnected from the internet until now. Router problems.

Afterwards, I ran Wise Registry Cleaner, which found 30 errors and corrected, Wise Disk Cleaner, uninstalled ATF, and reran Wise Registry Cleaner . I now have 195MB of free space.

6. valis

valis Moderator

you want to be very, very wary of registry cleaners. I highly recommend that people do not use them, as they can frequently cause misfires and you'll end up with a nice, expensive paperweight.

Have you cleared your restore points yet?

Also, atf doesn't find errors; it merely cleans out all your temp files; hence the name ATF. :)

thanks,
    v

7. Siam

Siam Thread Starter

Yes, I have a new restore point. I must report that I have not seen any "low disk space" pop-up messages since I turned off the computer and rebooted the router. However, I only have 53.86MB free space.

Unfortunately, my computer has slowed down. I will have to spend the money on a better cleaner, which I am researching, or paying a local repair shop, which I will also research. Thank you for spending the time helping me.

Laurie

8. valis

valis Moderator

you can also try this to see where your space is being taken up. How big is your HD?

9. Siam

Siam Thread Starter

Thank you for that download. Unfortunately, I do not have enough free space to finish installing the program. I have uninstalled a couple of programs that I have no idea where it came from - Novatel Wireless.

Can I uninstall "Windows Live Favorites for Windows Live Toolbar"; "Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant"; "Windows Live Installer"; and "Windows Live Toolbar" (all last used 11/11/07) without affecting my hotmail account? I will increase the free space by about 20MB.

Can I uninstall Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003, which was a trial version that came with the laptop, without affecting my Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Premium, which I am assuming supports my Office 2000 and Excel (my ex-boyfriend probably took the disks with him)? I will increase the free space by 428MB if I can safely uninstall.

What do you think or know?
    Laurie

10. valis

valis Moderator

yup, if you use office 2k, you can dump 2k3 easily.

Again, how big is your hd, and where did the file explorer show most of your data residing? Also, is this a laptop? You can free a good amount of space by turning off hibernation if so.

11. frankjohn

frankjohn

Download treespace.com

12. hrlow2

hrlow2

If he is right about having only MB's of space, he is indeed on dangerous ground.
    Nowhere enough to even do a defrag.
    I would be removing some that I didn't need or seldom used.

13. valis

valis Moderator

need to find out first how big his/her hd is.

14. frankjohn

frankjohn

you can add a hard drive and send your music> downloads > ect, do not panic panic

15. valis

valis Moderator

good point. Sorta missed the

part. :)

An external hard drive, 500 gb, will run you about $100, depending on the type. Last week I had a need to get a smallish external drive for my music and other media that I could chug along in my backpack to various contract jobs. Got a Western Digital passport 500gb drive for $110. USB hookup, and that's that. Done and done. Spent a few hours transferring about 80 gigs of music and a few movies over to it for the boring times, and I'm good to go. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice