1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Low Download Speeds

Discussion in 'Networking' started by davaughe, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davaughe

davaughe Thread Starter

I have a 1 Mb/s ADSL connection, i did some speed tests and on average i'm getting a download of 959 Kb/s and Upload of 250 Kb/s. Things is when i try downloading files form web my speed wont exceed 109 Kb/s. I dont understand i did a Modem diagnostic and everything pans out ok, it got an actual connection of 1024 Mb/s and Possible 7777 Mb/s, so the modem is good, i use a 3 ft RJ11 to the modem and a 50 ft RJ45 to the pc. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem, this si really bothering me and i'm thinking of switching ISP's but it makes no sense to switch and still experience the same problem, plz help

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Before we deal with the possible slowness, are you consistently talking about bits per second?

The reason I feel a need to ask is because speed test results are usually given in bits per second (bps) and during file downloads usually the bytes per second (Bps) are displayed. Some people don't know that there are 8 bits in a byte and, hence, don't realize that a file download of 109 KBps is the same as 872 Kbps.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You have a 1 megabit connection and you're downloading at 109 kbytes, sounds right to me.

Remember, there are 8 bits in a byte, so 1024 / 8 = 128. 128 kbytes/sec with 100% efficiency, which never happens.

You're getting all of the bandwidth you pay for. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice