Low-end graphics card (8400GS vs R HD 5450)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Abriam26

Abriam26

Okay thanks you, so how much better will the card be? (in percentage)
And to what can GPU clockspeed can I OC it?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS is a low-end video card and not designed for hard-core gaming.

The NVIDIA GeForce G210 is probably a better option if you want to stick with a NVIDIA chipset video card.

----------------------------------------------------------

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Okay thanks you, so how much better will the card be? (in percentage)
That's not really an answerable question, different games will give you different results, and hardware specs or increases in say clock speed or cores do not translate into that same percentage gain in frames per second in game, not unless you are comparing a card in the exact same model range. What you need to actually need to do is find benchmarks that have the card you are looking at and see what fps the reviewers got for the games you are interested in, and even that will not be exactly the result you'll get as your hardware and configuration will be different. Similarly you can also look at what others have achieved for overclocks but since each card is different you may not be able to match those speeds with the card you end up with.

Abriam26

My specs:
Processor: Intel Dual-core E5200
Harddisk: 320 GB + 750 GB + 640 GB
RAM: 3GB
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 (Dutch)
Videocard: Nvidia Geforce 8400GS 512 MB

An example game: Call of Duty 4
At lowest settings I get an average of 55 fps.

So will there be a slight improvement with the Radeon HD?
Also, is the Radeon HD 5450 better overclockable?
I am not buying a new card.
My dad has a computer with a Radeon HD 5450.
So I can swap videocards, since he isn't a gamer.

Abiram26

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
The hierarchy chart posted above shows the Radeon HD 5450 several tiers above the Geforce 8400 cards so yes you should notice some improvements. Here's a review of the Radeon HD 5450 which also has the Geforce 8400GS and has some overclocking info too: http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/ati_radeon_hd_5450,8.html and another review with overcloking results here: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_5450_1_GB/31.html The gains are hardly worth the effort here.

If its a matter of swapping cards, then swap the cards as it won't cost you anything to see exactly what you'd end up with. Make sure to get the latest AMD drivers from the web: http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx
The card is definitely newer and faster.

If you can get a 6850 or 6770/6750, it would give your better performance. If you want a nvidia card, you can try to get a 8800 or 9800, it would give you a better performance and you won't be disappointed.

Abriam26

So I swapped videocards, and installed the drivers (the MSI one).
And it works excellent. I get 110 fps when I play Call of Duty 4. So it's the double.
And the fps doesn't drop at a higher resolution too :)

Abriam26

The Radeon HD 5450 card is standard clocked at 400 mhz. (the gpu core clock)
How much can it be? I don't trust the Auto-tune thing, because that puts the gpu core clock and the memory to the max..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online