1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Low, erratic FPS

Discussion in 'Games' started by Thrupney, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrupney

Thrupney Thread Starter

Hi guys. Have posted here previously about hardware - i was building a new PC. I'm having some problems running WoW on it though. I have posted on the WoW support forums, but as is the standard process, they've asked me for my driver info and then ignored me. So I've come here!

Yesterday evening, I started having some strange stuttering slowdown. Every 2-5 seconds, I'll get a bit of slowdown for half a second, then I'm back running smooth again.

Previously, Warcraft would run at 60 FPS at (almost) all times, in busy cities, in raids, whatever. But after a few hours of playing yesterday, I suddenly started experiencing these low framerate spikes. It runs smooth for a few seconds, then it stutters, and then smooth, then a stutter.

I have tried:
    Running with 0 addons (in-game custom UI stuff),
    Fullscreen and windowed,
    Lowest graphics settings,
    Spyware scan (which brought up quite a lot actually - but it's clean now),
    Virus scan,
    Defrag (fairly new drive, so i'm at 0% fragmented, it says),
    Allowing the launcher to fully patch (it now says up to date - there's a sort of streaming patch process),
    Closing all processes and switching off fancy Win7 themes (my tray has my graphics utility, sound utility, mobo utility, and Microsoft's AV - nothing else).
    Updating graphics drivers.

It's particularly noticeable if I try and run around somewhere quite complex, like the cities or forests. Then it's a pretty constant 10-20 FPS (where before I could sustain at least 30 FPS with ease). But even in a plain zone, if I zoom in and look at the floor in the corner of a room, so i can barely see anything - the spikes become very noticeable indeed.

I've noticed some other performance issues. Scrolling down some content-heavy webpages is far from smooth. Even right-clicking spelling errors in this post causes the right-click menu to stutter open rather than fade in smoothly. But i honestly cannot remember if it was doing that beforehand.

So anyway: It sounds like a very specific problem to me, this erratic stuttering (as opposed to a constant slowdown). Any ideas on what is causing it?

Edit: With WoW closed, my browser slowdown is gone. I've also just tried Bioshock, and it runs as smooth as a bebbeh's botteh.

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    What are you full system specs? I assume its not the machine in your profile as thats says you are running Win XP and you mention in your post about turning off Win 7 effects?

If you aren't sure about your system info use the link below, if you are please post as much information as possible.

http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

3. Thrupney

Thrupney Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate , 64 bit
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6500 @ 2.93GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4095 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series , 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 326598 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5Q SE PLUS, Rev 1.xx, 106261250000131
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Some new information since then. A friend recommended I check my system temp, so I installed Speedfan. Here are the results:

With the Warcraft window idle (like, open on screen, but with the Speedfan window active in front of it):
    [​IMG]

And with the WoW window active and Speedfan at the side:
    [​IMG]

I'm not entirely sure how to use the program fully - the temperatures were a little weird. Anyways, the tests showed me something. When i'm not focused on Warcraft, the CPU goes down to 20% or so, and deathwing moves perfectly smooth on the login screen. But when I focus on WoW, the CPU goes way up to 100% and deathwing starts lagging around. Does that mean anything? It suggests to me that it actually does have to do with CPU temp, because it does tend to go up to 50 when Warcraft is active. But this page suggests that the max temp for the CPU is 74 degrees. Am I reading that wrong?

Edit: Err, Deathwing is a big dragon on the login screen. The slowdown is very noticeable on him, so he's a good point of reference for this problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/965391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice