Low FPS and big drop of FPS

Rinwe

So I have take the temperature before the game : Temp_Normal_01.png
Temp_Normal_02.png

And during the game :

Temp_inGame_01.png

Temp_inGame_02.png

OK, temps look good, except CPU which should not go above 80C but since this is a laptop? it's still tolerable.

The games you mentioned in your initial post looks like are all MMO games?

Question:
1. Do you experience FPS problems with offline single player games too?

Please shut down ALL programs, including those in tray on taskbar, leave just browser open.
Close all browser tabs and restart browser.

Then go to this site:
https://www.speedtest.net/

On this site if unsure choose some US server, because that's most likely where you play multiplayer games.
Do multiple tests, in 1 minute internals, and note down the results, then share them here.

Rinwe

So :
1- My biggest frustration is the low FPS in moded Morrowind^^
2-My speedtest results are (a mean of 5 tests spaced by 1 minute each) :
Ping : 25.6; Down : 59.45; Up : 21.42.

Please answer to question I asked in previous post to help me isolate some things:
1. Do you experience FPS problems with offline single player games too?

I see you now also have some sort of avast antivirus which is now already 4th antivirus in the list so far.
I don't understand but if you say you're not running more than 1 antivirus then that's probably true.

Please remove them ALL restart computer, and try again.

Rinwe

So :
1- My biggest frustration is the low FPS in Morrowind, so yes, I do experience problems with offline single player games too.

2- During the span between my first post and this answer, I reinstalled 1 times windows with the options to keep my files, and one times with erasing all my hard drive. At the begin I had Avira and Malware Byte ( Avira for the real time protection and Malware Byte for doing cross scan ).

After the second re-installation, I had nothing on my computer, so I tried Avast instead of Avira to be sure that wasn't an Anti-Virus issue.

From Information so far I suspect your NVIDIA card either:
1. doesn't turn on when needed
OR
2. it's not functioning as expected

Possible reasons for Point 1 are:
1. The game in which this happens doesn't have high enough demands.
OR
2. There is software misconfiguration (but you said to have removed all GPU tweak software)

To verify some or all of this I would test some really demanding PC game in both offline single player and online multiplayer, with multiple game video presets.

What about NVIDIA GeForce experience? this program may interfere with game configuration, although should not be true since you set all to minimum.

There are various GPU test tools you can try out to measure FPS on maximum GPU demands, could help see if , when and in which cases your PC switches to NVIDIA.

Please visit bellow site:
https://geeks3d.com/furmark/

download and setup GPU test, let it run on different settings, you simply monitor FPS counts.
See if problem persists.

Just please make sure you don't run it for more than 30 minutes per test.
Several hours of testing (depends) may burn or damage your GPU.

Rinwe

So I did some tests :

First resolution 1024x768, the FPS :
With nothing : 150
With post-FX : 120
With Fur : 5
With Fur + post-FX : 5

max temp : 79°C

Second resolution, full screen, 1920x1080, the FPS :
With nothing : 200
With Post-FX : 130
With Fur : 3
With Fur+ Post-FX : 3

max temp : 78°C

The first GPU was the Nvidia and the second one was the intel graphic.

After I did some benchmark with 1920 resolution and 1280 :

To go on another way, someone in an other discussion have noticed that my CPU frequencies while playing was going pretty low (0.9 GHzit's visible on the previous HWM screenshots). After installing Intel XTU, I discovered that my CPU is throttling during my games. Any thoughts on that ?

And I don't have installed Nvidia GeForce Experience.

Attachments

Last edited:
Please open NVIDIA control panel, click on "Help" menu then "System information" and "Save" button.

Share your text file here.

I'm confused about some numbers because not consistent, and you said to be updated drivers from asus site only.

Bellow is GPU driver for your card, it's in french, please install it if possible, and check the checkbox that says "perform clean installation" when asked, then restart computer and try to reproduce FPS problem in your game.

https://www.nvidia.fr/download/driverResults.aspx/161441/fr

someone in an other discussion have noticed that my CPU frequencies while playing was going pretty low (0.9 GHzit's visible on the previous HWM screenshots)
If by that you mean the "Min" value, that's minimum load, it doesn't matter much for NVIDIA card or FPS, because GPU has it's own CPU's.

CPU use can be true only for Intel card but not dedicated one, but still in lowest load so not relevant IMO, but could be wrong.

After installing Intel XTU, I discovered that my CPU is throttling during my games.
You can also run CPU test, but if the game doesn't demand much CPU load then CPU won't run for nothing.

Furmark test from screenshot is not consistent with numbers you posted, it says 11 FPS on average but you mentioned 130/200 what am I missing? :unsure:

What is the most demanding game you have installed right now?

Rinwe

Sorry, I was trying to reinstall Nvidia driver with clean install, rebooted and try a game, but nothing change :/.

If by that you mean the "Min" value, that's minimum load, it doesn't matter much for NVIDIA card or FPS, because GPU has it's own CPU's.

CPU use can be true only for Intel card but not dedicated one, but still in lowest load so not relevant IMO, but could be wrong.
So I learned something, didn't knew that GPUs had their own CPUs !!

You can also run CPU test, but if the game doesn't demand much CPU load then CPU won't run for nothing.
If in your opinion it's not relevant I'll believe it ^^

Furmark test from screenshot is not consistent with numbers you posted, it says 11 FPS on average but you mentioned 130/200 what am I missing? :unsure:
So there is multiple test available. With the GPU stress test, you choose the resolution ( the first two test I did ) and when the test begin, there is no time limis and you can add or remove elements on the screen to stress your GPU. So without nothing on the 1920 resolution on GPU stress test, I had approximatly 200FPS and if I had the "Post-FX" effect, it drops to 130 ect...

The benchmark is a test where I had 0 control over it, it's just a 60 sec test, and at the end it gave me a score ( that means nothing to me ).

The most demanding game was MHW ( I don't have the minimal specs to run it but I wanted to try ^^ ) and I can't even pass the first cinematic, I have low FPS and it's so demanding that itwas like it was on slow motion with 2 FPS

It looks like Intel HD runs games instead of NVIDIA, and the question is why??

Other people seem to have experienced same problems, and here are few solutions:

If I uninstall and delete the Intel® HD Graphics 530 drivers from Device Manager, and then restart, Windows will start up using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. After about a minute or so Windows will update it to the Intel® HD Graphics 530 driver automatically (with the exact same version as specified above), and it works! No problems reported. And I am then able to run games, NVIDIA Control Panel, etc.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...-used-and-intel-hd-530-is-reporting-problems/

Make sure you have the latest nVidia and Intel drivers installed. I noticed the same issue on my 15 when I got it, but resolved as soon as I updated. I suggest you install the Intel drivers first, then the nVidia drivers. Not sure if if really matters, but that is what I did and it works like a charm.
https://www.dell.com/community/Alie...raphic-cards-on-the-new-15/m-p/5572523#M74407

Does this resolve your problem?

BTW, I don't play games for real like before, but just out of curiosity installed LoL and the game look really fun, I think I may even play it ocassionally.

Here is my graphics card
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-1030/specifications

the game runs at amazing 150-200 FPS, crystal clear and very fast, no lags no nothing.

Your GTX 1050 should run much better, I'm telling you but it doesn't, instead the game is run by integrated Intel HD, and NVIDIA doesn't get into play at all.

Let me know the results of Intel chipset and GPU driver reinstall.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.