Status
Not open for further replies.

Low FPS and big drop of FPS

3K views 34 replies 3 participants last post by  Rinwe 
#1 ·
Computer Type: Portable ASUS GL553VD
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs)
Motherboard: ASUSTek GL553VD
RAM: 8Go
Operating System & Version: Windows 10
GPU Drivers: Up to date downloaded on https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-GL553VD/HelpDesk_Download/ (I get all my drivers on the page dedicated to my model)

Hi,
I come to you because I don't know what to do. As the title says, I can have a game of league of legend at 18 flat fps with drops at 01 or even 0 ( yes I actually have seen the 0 on my fps counter ) during games. It is not the only game with low fps.
For exemple I played a lot of WoW WoTLK and Moded Morrowind lately, and Morrowind got ridiculous fps. I agree that since it's moded, I shouldn't have a flat 60 fps (and even I've disabled a lot of shader so it doesn't seems to much to ask), but to have 4 fps constantly is kind of a mood killer.
I've tried to update the driver of my GPUs and CPU. I did a entire scan of my computer with Avira. I already reinstall windows (the options without deleting personal files).
I don't know if that kind of fps is what I should have, but it seems to me that, even if my computer isn't a war machine, it shouldn't have such low fps (maybe I'm wrong and my computer is,in fact, a potato).
So does this seems normal or not ? And if not, what can I do to increase my fps ?

I already post this on reddit, and someone told me that activating VSYNC or turning off motion blur in Nvidia settings work for him, but it didn't work for me.

Since then I installed MHW and I can't even pass the first cinematic since it got like 2 FPS and I just Alt+F4.

I really don't know what to do now, any ideas ??

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
someone in an other discussion have noticed that my CPU frequencies while playing was going pretty low (0.9 GHzit's visible on the previous HWM screenshots)
If by that you mean the "Min" value, that's minimum load, it doesn't matter much for NVIDIA card or FPS, because GPU has it's own CPU's.

CPU use can be true only for Intel card but not dedicated one, but still in lowest load so not relevant IMO, but could be wrong.

After installing Intel XTU, I discovered that my CPU is throttling during my games.
You can also run CPU test, but if the game doesn't demand much CPU load then CPU won't run for nothing.

Furmark test from screenshot is not consistent with numbers you posted, it says 11 FPS on average but you mentioned 130/200 what am I missing? :unsure:

What is the most demanding game you have installed right now?

#28 ·
Sorry, I was trying to reinstall Nvidia driver with clean install, rebooted and try a game, but nothing change :/.

If by that you mean the "Min" value, that's minimum load, it doesn't matter much for NVIDIA card or FPS, because GPU has it's own CPU's.

CPU use can be true only for Intel card but not dedicated one, but still in lowest load so not relevant IMO, but could be wrong.
So I learned something, didn't knew that GPUs had their own CPUs !!

You can also run CPU test, but if the game doesn't demand much CPU load then CPU won't run for nothing.
If in your opinion it's not relevant I'll believe it ^^

Furmark test from screenshot is not consistent with numbers you posted, it says 11 FPS on average but you mentioned 130/200 what am I missing? :unsure:
So there is multiple test available. With the GPU stress test, you choose the resolution ( the first two test I did ) and when the test begin, there is no time limis and you can add or remove elements on the screen to stress your GPU. So without nothing on the 1920 resolution on GPU stress test, I had approximatly 200FPS and if I had the "Post-FX" effect, it drops to 130 ect...

The benchmark is a test where I had 0 control over it, it's just a 60 sec test, and at the end it gave me a score ( that means nothing to me ).

The most demanding game was MHW ( I don't have the minimal specs to run it but I wanted to try ^^ ) and I can't even pass the first cinematic, I have low FPS and it's so demanding that itwas like it was on slow motion with 2 FPS

#29 ·
It looks like Intel HD runs games instead of NVIDIA, and the question is why??

Other people seem to have experienced same problems, and here are few solutions:

If I uninstall and delete the Intel® HD Graphics 530 drivers from Device Manager, and then restart, Windows will start up using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. After about a minute or so Windows will update it to the Intel® HD Graphics 530 driver automatically (with the exact same version as specified above), and it works! No problems reported. And I am then able to run games, NVIDIA Control Panel, etc.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...-used-and-intel-hd-530-is-reporting-problems/

Make sure you have the latest nVidia and Intel drivers installed. I noticed the same issue on my 15 when I got it, but resolved as soon as I updated. I suggest you install the Intel drivers first, then the nVidia drivers. Not sure if if really matters, but that is what I did and it works like a charm.
https://www.dell.com/community/Alie...raphic-cards-on-the-new-15/m-p/5572523#M74407

Does this resolve your problem?

#30 · (Edited)
BTW, I don't play games for real like before, but just out of curiosity installed LoL and the game look really fun, I think I may even play it ocassionally.

Here is my graphics card
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-1030/specifications

the game runs at amazing 150-200 FPS, crystal clear and very fast, no lags no nothing.

Your GTX 1050 should run much better, I'm telling you but it doesn't, instead the game is run by integrated Intel HD, and NVIDIA doesn't get into play at all.

Let me know the results of Intel chipset and GPU driver reinstall.

#32 · (Edited)
So I unistall Intel driver and restart, but no automatic install.So for the gesture I unistall GTX and during he download of intel driver, GTX update itself automaticly. I update Intel => still bad fps

I see that I have to try to install intel first then Nvidia. SoI unistall Inteland Nvidia, restart, then Intel this time update itself automaticly, and I install Nvidia driver => still bad FPS :/

I want to emphasize the fact that at the begin, I have high FPS around 200 and that duiring 3 min it get lower and lower to the point where I have bad FPS. Then if I alt+tab during the game ( to change some setting, looking some values ect... ) then get back in the game 2min later, I got huge FPS again....

One funny fact : while my intel driver was unistalled, I tried a game of LoL, then I had a flat 15 FPS with only my CPU working but it was a better exprerience than when the GPUs was upl mao

#34 · (Edited)
Then if I alt+tab during the game ( to change some setting, looking some values ect...
That was the setting I was changing actually ^^

EDIT :

The first time I unistalled Intel Driver, I tried to instal these driver instead, but I had an unexplained error and it told me that it couldn't install it ...

EDIT :

So I tried again to install Intel driver from Intel, and this time it worked. So I tried if it make my FPS better.
Spoiler : it doesn't

#33 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.