1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Low fps for a lot of games.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Deivijs, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deivijs

Deivijs Thread Starter

Hello. This is my first post in these forums.
    You see, I'm a bit new to this whole computer stuff so i haven't found everything out so don't get angry with me if i don't make sense with something.

Anyways, so yeah, straight to the point. I don't have an incredibly good PC or something, but it was decent about 3 years ago when my parents bought it for me, ran everything just fine. Well, it probably should have, since i never did run any extremely demanding games.

So I have been slowly upgrading it, seeing how i don't have a stable income and i live off my parents, so the usual "Go and buy a new thingamajig for a bit under 100$, it's super cheap", won't work for me, since that kind of money would take a person like me about 3 weeks to earn, seeing how there are no jobs where i live. Oops, there i go again, blabbering about stuff nobody cares about.

Currently I am running a Windows 7. (32-bit)
    Intel Pentium D 2.66 GHz processor.
    NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
    3 GB installed ram and i have a 4 GB attached flash drive that i am using in ReadyBoost, though i don't know how much that helps. Okay, i'm no expert, but shouldn't this be able to run games like Borderland.

For example, copy pasting here
    Borderlands
    System Requirements* Intel Processor- Pentium 4 2.4GHz AMD Processor- Athlon XP 2400+ Nvidia Graphics Card- Geforce 8600 GS ATI Graphics Card- Radeon X850 Series RAM Memory- 2 GB Hard Disk Space- 8 GB Direct X- 9 These aren't even the minimum, these are the recommended, and mine are better, no? So i just can't understand how come i can't play with high fps on low settings, when i see people with worse system having no such problems?

I am really sorry if i forgot to mention something, just tell me where to look, i will link it. Is there some program that could help me? I honestly don't know, i even have Gamebooster active while playing, which nets me ~100 Mb more ram for playing.

Does anyone know any solution to this? Because i've pretty much hit a wall. This has been going on for a long time, ever since i was on XP, then i installed W7 and still had these obnoxious lags. It happens in every New-1 year old game. Crysis, Just cause 2, mass effect 2, Borderlands, I had it also in Lotro, Left 4 dead 2, sc2 beta, etc etc.

All i can hope is that any one of you know what could be causing this or how to fix it, any diagnostic freeware i could run? /stumped

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Welcome to TSG, I've edited your post for language. Please keep in mind this a family oriented forum and we'd like the language used to be as such.

You're weak link in your computer by far is the video card, the Geforce 9500GT is a weak gaming card, followed by the Pentium D processor.

You could try updating your video drivers to the latest version, that may help a bit especially if thats never been done since installing Windows 7. You can find the latest driver for the 9500GT for Windows 7 32 bit here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_32bit_197.45_whql.html

Also you can check your temps: http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
    Pentium D's can be prone to overheating easily. Post a screenshot of HW Monitor, or post the temps it reports.

3. Deivijs

Deivijs Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Wow, i never thought that my video card was bad, it was the other way around.
    I always thought it was the best thing in my system, i mean, even the box is covered with videogame characters, which made me automatically assume that it's made for gaming. :(

It even says
    "Better Games.

• Ultra-realistic characters and environment
    • Blazing speeds and performance
    • Worry-free compatibility"
    on the back.
    Just looking at some reviews on the net it seems that it is given some pretty decent reviews and said that it's pretty good. Well, if it's that bad... then i guess that's the problem i've been having.
    I'll try to get that driver too.

4. Deivijs

Deivijs Thread Starter

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It can handle some gaming, but its not a good gaming card, its not enough for a game like Crysis that is very demanding.

See here where you card is: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-graphics-card,2544-7.html

See here how it performs in L4D(use the 8600GTS as it similar): http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-cards-charts-2009-high-quality/benchmarks,74.html

Here's a review from 2 years ago, when the card was new: http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-9500-gt-review/12
    It wont even do that well in newer games.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You temps seem high, Diode 1 is extremely high. Can you enter the BIOS setup and check the temps there?

Try Real Temp as well: http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

You can also pop off the side of the case and point a room fan into it and see if the temps drop, your video card and other temps are high as well so maybe you have bad case design and cooling or you need to dust out all the fans and heatsinks.

7. Deivijs

Deivijs Thread Starter

Okay, i downloaded Real Temp, but it says it doesn't support my processor...
    Says "The process detected is not supported.
    GenuineIntel
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66 GHz
    Will go in BIOS now to check the temps.

8. Deivijs

Deivijs Thread Starter

Okay, last post for tonight. Went in Bios.

Processor fang speed 2340
    Front fan speed 2040
    processor temperature 91 C
    Internal temp 39 C
    Remote Temp 45 C

And a bunch of V's like v12.0 11.062 V but i guess those don't matter.

I guess even i'm sure what's wrong. I have some nano grease that i was using a while back, think i should reapply it?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your CPU is overheating and not likely running at full speed. You need to make sure the fan. You also need to check that it is installed correctly and not loose.

10. Deivijs

Deivijs Thread Starter

It is firmly installed. A Tech guy that was previously here put it back there, i always seem to have problems with it, so i really dislike taking it off. Yeah, checked again, it is firmly in place, do i need to take it off and apply the grease or something?

EDIT: Will check back tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The earlier Pentium D's ran very hot, they just weren't good processors. I'd recommend you get a replacement heat sink and new paste if you can, it'll help keep those temps much lower. Right now something is really wrong for them to be that high. If you do remove it, you'll need to thoroughly remove all the thermal pad/paste off both and apply a new layer, best to clean it with isopropanol alcohol.

Maybe this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119090

Or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106134

12. Deivijs

Deivijs Thread Starter

A question - could someone help me out and find some Europe friendly site that sells good easy-to-install cpu coolers in the price range of 25 euros?

EDIT: As newegg is a US site.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  14. Deivijs

Deivijs Thread Starter

Thanks for finding that mate, but what do you mean with "come out"? Do i need to find another one? Or i just need to rearrange everything when installing the cooler?
    EDIT hehe, that shop doesn't deliver to my coutnry too =/
    EDIT2 nvm found 1 in a local online shop

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It would help if you posted the country you were in, or added it to your profile.

The motherboard has to be removed from the computer so that the back plate that comes with the heatsink can be attached to the back of the motherboard.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice