1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Low FPS in CoD4

Discussion in 'Games' started by sgatland, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sgatland

sgatland Thread Starter

I am averaging around 30-50 fps in my game and i want to know if there is anything i can do to increase this, cos atm im getting a lot of FPS lag, and it really mucks my gaming up to the point that i cant really play properly. When i look up to the sky it shoots up to about 70-80, but 99% of the time it is in the red. It is even dropping to below 15 at some points and then i cant really do anything.

Below are my PC specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Hard Drive: Radeon X1550 Series
    Video Card: Radeon X1550 Series (512mb)

My current in-game screen resolution is set to 800x600, and even if i lower it i still experience the same FPS around 30-40. I also have everything turned off aswell or set to low, yet this still doesnt help

Any help would be much appreciated as it is really irritating now.

Thnx

2. gamewolf

gamewolf

What OS are you running? Also, make sure you don't have any Anti-Virus or Firewalls running in the background as well as other programs. Sometimes these can interfere with games.

3. burnthepc

burnthepc

It's a bit strange that you're getting those results as you hit the recommended specs on a lot of your hardware.

First thing is that if you are using vista, the problem may lay with the memory. 1GB is on the low side for vista, 2GB should show a big improvement. If you're using XP then this is unlikely to be an issue.

Second thing, and you do this anyway, is to update your version of direct x to the latest from the microsoft website and get the latest graphics card drivers from the ATI website.

Finally, I'd agree that anti-virus or firewall programs can cause programs to have periodic lag. Best check those are off.

4. sgatland

sgatland Thread Starter

My O/S is Windows XP Home. I have AVG Anit Virus running, and Zone Alarm firewall (internet settings at medium). I did update my GFX Crad drivers but that had no affect so i rolled them back.

I havent updated my Direct X at all, but i think i have the latest version, but will check anyways.

I did go to a site that actually checks ur system spec to see if it passes or fails to play certain games and on CoD4 i do meet the minimum required spec, but on the recommended i fail on my CPU and GFX Card. It says i need a CPU of 2.4 GHz, where as mine is 2.01GHz, and the GFX card it says i need Radeon X1800 or higher, but my current card is Radeon X1550 (512mb) AGP. Yes my system is around 5 years old, thats why im using a AGP GFX Card.

If i dont have any anti virus or firewall running whilst i play CoD4, wouldnt i run the risk of being hacked, and getting viruses more easily?

Any more ideas wat i can do to increase my FPS, without actually updating my hardware?

Thnx

5. tony oh

tony oh

6. sgatland

sgatland Thread Starter

Any more help?

7. johnsonwk2

johnsonwk2

I don't mean to steal your thread...but I've been trying to find out the console command to view my fps and I can't figure it out.

8. hawk1220

hawk1220

Did you have your graphic card driver installed?

9. burnthepc

burnthepc

I'd suggest keeping your drivers at the latest version. Even if it seems like they had no effect. It could be a combination of factors causing a problem.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

This is for version 9c which should be recent enough.
    You stand more risk without protection from bad programs, but it'll be minimal. Most dodgy stuff happens while looking at the internet or downloading files. Give the above a shot and hopefully you'll get some improvement.

A cheap idea for hardware improvement? An extra 1GB RAM. Should improve the situation.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice