1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Low hardwired internet speed and high wireless speeds.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by crossfireltd, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crossfireltd

crossfireltd Thread Starter

Got a call yesterday from Comcast stating that I an open service ticket due to signal leakage in my area. So I called the regular Comcast number to see what this was aboiut, and found out that is in fact an issue and a valid Comcast issue. I called the number and spoke to one of the engineers and he laid the issue out for me. He tried to remotely go into the router to make some changes, that did not work so he initiated a service call. Tech came today and checked all wiring and connectors throughout the house, and changed a few connectors that were under my house. This is where the mystery starts, used the Xfinity speed check site and found out that I am getting on average 47.2mbps download and 12.0mbps upload speeds (hardwired). Wirelessly my speeds are 239.9mbps download and 12.0mbps upload. The tech then did a speed check directly from the router/gateway and was receiving 336.8mbps. At that point after conferring with other techs he thinks that the issue is within my PC. I am currently using the standard Xfi router/gateway, he tried switching it out with one of the new Gigabyte routers (without GIG speed) and the speeds dropped by about 15%. He then switched the router back to my original one and speeds were back to where they were prior.

My PC is relatively new and to my knowledge have any hardware/peripheral issues. Could this be a ethernet card or driver issue? I am running Windows 7 Professioal 64 bit, my PC is an HP Envy Pheonix. I used the device manager to see if all of my network adapters are working and all is well there. Any help with this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 10193 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 1846 GB (1705 GB Free); D: 16 GB (1 GB Free); F: 931 GB (261 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 2AF3
    Antivirus: Norton Security Suite, Enabled and Updated

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What (brand and model) ethernet adapter?

The latest Windows 7 driver from HP's web site installed?

Have you tested with any other device using the same cable and router LAN port?

3. crossfireltd

TerryNet.....thanks for your response. Hopefully, this is the information you are looking for, information is from the Device Manager. It seems that all drivers are up to date and I do not have another machine to test at the moment.

Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adaptor (Microsoft ver. 6.1.7600.16385)
    Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi Fi Adapter (Media Tek ver. 5.0.52.0)
    Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (disabled) (Realtek Ver. 106.12.1119.2014)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does HP supply a separate driver for the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller or is it included with the Chipset drivers? Either way, is the latest driver installed?

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Also, why is it disabled?

6. crossfireltd

Do not know why it was disabled, I personally did not disable it. I have enabled it and my hardwired speeds are now at 264.1. Thanks for all your help and interest.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice